Jealousy

"So you're with me. The dream team out searching for these cannisters. What could go wrong?" Jack says with his usual signature smile, climbing into the driver's seat of the SUV.

Ianto hums none-commitently, staring out of the window as Jack sings along to a song on the radio. After the third or fourth round of car karaoke by Jack, Ianto leans over to switch the radio off and put an end to the Captain's singing.

Jack sighs deeply as he waits for Ianto to inenvitably break the silence that's fell over the SUV.

"Partners. In every way. That's what he said. He was your 'wife' according to him." Ianto replies bitterly, remembering that he's just one in a long line of Jack's exploits.

"It was two weeks ..."

"In a time loop, so you were together for five years." Ianto says flatly, repeating John's words.

"Ianto, I've lived a long time. You knew that when we started this ..."

"And what is this, Jack?"

"Ianto ..."

"We're at the first location. Best get on with it." Ianto replies,cutting of Jack's argument as the car rolls to a stop.

x..x

Jack walks into his office with a sigh, throwing his coat onto the arm of the couch as Ianto slowly walks in behind him and closes the office door.

"Well, that was an eventful day." Jack laughs, trying to distract himself from John's news about Gray.

Ianto doesn't respond and the Captain gets the sense of deja vu as he continues to talk to his unresponsive guest.

"Hopefully, that's the last we see of John. I've sent the team home so maybe me and you could do something together tonight. I ... I missed you, while I was away. And today didn't really give us much time to talk about ..." Jack stops suddenly as he hears Ianto's sigh.

Ianto slumps down on the couch in Jack's office, rubbing a hand across his face in sadness as the immortal perches on the edge of his desk.

The younger man hasn't really spoken to Jack properly all day; aside from their discussion about John and their awkward conversation in the office building and the immortal knows exactly why.

"Ianto, you know it's only you." Jack speaks softly, breaking the silence in the small office.

"You're a bad liar, Jack." Ianto sighs in defeat, tilting his head to finally look at the older man.

"Ianto, I'm not lying." Jack replies earnestly.

The Welshman rolls his eyes in response and looks towards the door.

"Ianto, you know it's true. And I came back for you." Jack says, standing up and holding a hand out to Ianto.

Ianto slaps the Captain's hand away and stands up abruptly, pacing around the office.

"That's what you told her too. That you wanted to come home to her!"

Jack winces at the way Ianto says 'home' and realises how it would have sounded to anyone who heard him.

"Listen, I'm sorry. It was wrong to say that." Jack replies gently, grabbing Ianto by the arms to stop his pacing.

"It was wrong? Too right it was wrong, Jack!" Ianto yells, shrugging the Captain off roughly and stepping away from him.

"For God's sake, be reasonable about this!" Jack snaps, finally losing his temper.

"Be reasonable? I don't need to be reasonable, Jack! You're the one who doesn't know who he's in love with!"