Chapter 21: Operation Nutcracker 2/4

The first of the Promethean Knights appeared, its body shimmering with all too familiar shifting blackhole that spurt out pieces of its body before recombining into it's more formidable self, Y/n leveled his shotgun, completely focused. "On your mark," he said, voice steady despite the adrenaline coursing through his veins. Afterall, these things were annoying to kill.

Seven didn't even wait for all the enemies to even appear before she responded. "Mark." Her energy carbine hummed to life, as a brilliant lance of light smashed into the first knight. Beginning what will possibly be a long day.

Y/n's shotguns roar quickly followed dispatching the first knight and moving onto another enemy with one clean motion. He maneuvered, guided by his combat experience, ruthless and uncaring as he took out enemy after enemy. Even going as far as calculating each shot to further exploit the chinks in the Knights' armor. Seven's carbine sang in harmony with your brutality.  Sounding more like a soft melody compared to the destruction that you left, its bolts of energy weaved a deadly pattern through the air, stripping shields and leaving foes vulnerable. All so you could continue to rip and tear.

"New types!" Seven warned, her voice cutting through your focus. new threats joined the fray. Floating with an eerie grace, the New types. They looked nearly identical to twin bladed drones the unsc used to field against rebels but clashed with forerunner tech. They quickly moved to the locations of remnants of the knights. Undoing your hard-fought gains by reviving a few enemies. Which immediately put them on the high priority list, leading to seven quickly sniping them out of the air while switching positions to avoid dog like constructs that tired to overwhelm her. 

Y/n nodded, acknowledging the shift in priority. "I see them. Cover me- Oh" The new types that Y/n was going to get to off of sevens advice was no longer there. He was still used to having Sven in his head, so for a brief moment he'd found himself paused. This thankfully hadn't costed him anything as Seven drew the most fire since she was deemed to be the more practical threat thanks to her extremely accurate shots. 

"I need to pick up the pace." You admonished yourself, quickly switching back to your main weapon and running towards the Knight with a sniper rifle. The knight obviously saw you and tried to take a shot, but you were faster. Dipping low an shifting right, you dodged the blast of binary before lunging forward and jamming your shotgun barrel into the midsection. Rappidly pulling the trigger.

Bang.

The shields broke and the Knight stumbled, both from your weight and the point blank rang of the shotgun.

Bang.

You saw as your new ammo, something you made back at the forerunners forage, something you called Plasma buckshot. melted through the strange armor of the knight.

BANG.

The last shot did something slightly unexpected, it was still a Plasma Buckshot round, but rather one that must've been fault as it came out a thick slug of blue. Taking the entire front off of your shotgun with it.

"Damn it.." You cursed, pulling out your secondary and point it at the knight. Only to see it begin to decompose at the earlier round hit its nexus through its chest. Seeing that, you quickly spun on your heels, going in for another target while quickly repositing and laying down some fire.

The battle continued to rage on, with both Y/n and Seven out maneuvering their enemies and covering for each other. It became clear to the Prometheans that the simple wave strategy wouldn't work this time. Especially since it didn't work against the first Spartan either. So after a few more New-types appeared they quickly moved around the dormant turrets, the static defenses suddenly awakening thanks whether by a button press or a digital plug. No one was certain. "Turrets are active!" Y/n called out, catching the sudden bright flair on his hud.

Seven, using the comms as a backdoor network to get into Y/n's armor, peaked at what he saw. Then put the data together through the connection, her mind racing to find the most optimal strategy with literal nano seconds as she herself was being pinned by another wave of dogs. "There! Move now! There's a slight heat exchange before they fire!" Her timing was impeccable; as the turrets rapidly began to glow. Y/n dove for cover. Just in time too as they burned the ground he just stood upon, after a second he tried to peak his head over his cover but the turret began to charge again before firing. "Pinned!" Y/n yelled over to Seven only to see her engaged with a pack of dog like Forerunners. "Shit." Y/n growled.

But then an idea came to mind...

Seven POV

Pop.

I moved the energy carbine to one of the forerunner constructs that had attempted to ambush me while I was focused on Y/n, but rather succeed. The dumb animals only made it obvious. And I was glad for it.

Pop.

Another one had been taken down. A clean kill. The animal like behavior associated with the actions only provide to work against them. The movement. The aim. The shape? It's almost as if it had been a perfect copy of a biological animal.

Pop. Pop. Pop.

Three went down at once, thanks to poor positioning on their part and standing near a explos-

My eyes were quickly drawn away from the dogs and I heard Y/n scream through the comms. I watched for just a moment as he stood up from his place of cover, vaulted over it and begin a suicide charge for the two turrets.

"Y/n!" I yelled, moving my weapon over to give him covering fire. Only to be denied by a barrage of fire that was countured by my shields, but altered my aim and my attention enough where I couldn't do anything. "Fuck off you bootleg doggos!" I screamed rapidly firing a mass of precision shots that wiped out the most threatening beast. Then looked back, only to see my lover using one of the dropped pieces of a knight as a sort of shield against both turrets.

I didn't even see how he'd gotten the small things. But the sight of it threw me completely off. I wanted to smack him for trying something so dumb but the moment the turrets stopped firing and I saw him drop the shield. I realized what he was really doing.

Reaching the base of the nearest turret, Y/n planted a grenade on the underside of both stationary weapons, then like a cartoon character I watched him jump to the side and role behind another piece of cover. The explosion soon followed, and so did my smile. "Y/n! Next wave!"

3rd POV

The Prometheans were relentless, their numbers seemingly endless. With each enemy dispatched, two more took its place, a never-ending tide of malice. But Y/n and Seven stood firm, "We can't do this all day!," Y/n breathed, reloading his magnum with a click.

Seven's laugh was light, a moment of levity amidst the carnage. "What are you talking about? The days just started!"

"Wha-" Just as Y/n was about to express his confusion to Seven about this clearly doomed situation. He noticed how the dome that kept them blocked out by their other forces. Suddenly go dead. "What!? How?"

Followed by his question, was a wave of combined fire from every single marine and vehicles they'd brought. Lighting up each enemy like they were Christmas trees being turned on for the very first time.

"We got you back Spartan!" One of Marines yelled, grinning widely.

"Yeah boss!"

"Danger Close! Watch out!"

Y/n relaxed a bit, but not enough to let his guard down. Afterall there were still a lot of enemies on the field.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midterms hurt.