Chapter 18: Operation Knockout 2/2

Although it was not her fate.

.

.

.

POV 3rd Person

The explosion sent Ashley flying, her world spinning as debris and heat enveloped her. Disoriented, she struggled to regain her bearings, her ears ringing, and vision blurred. In the midst of her haze, Master Chief stood like a bastion against the storm. He watched at the knight he'd just defeated breakdown in fold into itself but before anything else.

Cortana's voice crackled in his helmet, "Second target, deck 3, take the elevator down."

Acknowledging with a nod but didn't dare to move. Not when he clearly saw the single surviving marine from this minor battle. The burns and sheer pain she'd seem to be in left a horrible taste in the man's mouth. As the years of seeing the same situation constantly flashed over his mind.

"Chief!" Cortana yelled his name, "We need to move! Now! I think one of the knights is heading for the jump core!"

The mentioning of the jump core allowed chief to shake off his feelings as he immediately recognized how disastrous this situation would become if he didn't do his job.

"On it."

Chief sprinted towards the elevator, his heavy footsteps echoing through the damaged corridors. As he passed Ashley, a brief glance exchange between the two allowed Ashley to see herself reflected in chiefs' visor. Burns had ransacked her face, her arm was twisted in a unnatural way, and there was shrapnel jabbed in her abdomen... She needed medical attention, but did the hero of humanity stop? No, he couldn't the jump core was far more important.

Ashley watched as the only person that could help her left her, not even offering a word of reassurance...

"Cortana, mark this area for-" Chief spoke quickly, thinking that he could help the poor woman indirectly but was cut off. 

"We don't have time! Keep moving!" Hearing that the man gritted his teeth.

Upon entering the elevator, the door slammed shut, and Chief descended towards deck 3, his thoughts circling for just a moment. Thinking back to the Marine he left but soon steeled after a few seconds. It wasn't his fault after all, sure if he'd been faster then maybe he might've been able to stop what had happened.  

 in preparation of the confrontation ahead. Cortana, ever vigilant, displayed schematics of the ship's interior on his HUD, highlighting their current route to the jump core.

"Chief, the knight's attempting to tamper with the jump core's controls. If it succeeds, it could either destroy the Infinity or completely stop us from leaving," Cortana warned, her tone reflecting the urgency of the situation. "But it's odd..."

"Odd?" Chief questioned.

"The knight, form what I can understand isn't like the others we've faced before... its structure seems to have been modified...?"

"Doesn't matter. We've fought them before." Chief withdrew his assault rifle from his back.

As the elevator doors opened, Chief was met with the sight of chaos. Engineers and security personnel lay scattered, evidence of the knight's merciless advance. Without hesitation, Chief advanced, his weapon ready, his senses heightened for any sign of the enemy. The corridor leading to the jump core was eerily silent, the only sound the distant echo of battle still raging in other parts of the ship as the third knight seemed to partake a one-man crusade. Chief's approach was methodical, he'd been in situations like this before and it showed as he made complete use of his motion detector but hadn't found anything.

Cortana guided him, "Left at the next junction, then straight through to the core access door. I'm overriding the security locks, but it'll take a moment."

POV 3rd person

The core access door stood ominously before them, the hum of the ship's heart, the jump core, pulsating through the walls. It served as a stark reminder of what was at stake: the lives of everyone on board, the mission, and the very reason for their presence there the need to save Cortana.

Suddenly, a buzzing sound tore through the tension, alerting them just in time as a large metal blade sought to cleave through the air where chief stood. With a swift maneuver, he threw himself aside, narrowly avoiding being split into two. Quickly regaining his footing, he rolled to a stand and aimed his weapon, only to pause at the sight before him.

What initially appeared to be a mere metal blade was in fact a sort of charged kinetic melee weapon, crackling with energy. It was a peculiar and terrifying amalgamation of Covenant, Forerunner, and UNSC technology, giving the impression of a themed monster rather than a mere piece of machinery. After the shock of the initial encounter had subsided, hesitation was no longer an option. A quick burst from Chiefs weapon forced the Knight into a defensive stance, shielding itself with its blade, then raising its other arm, which bore a resemblance to a horrifying fusion of a Spartan laser and a fuel rod cannon.

"Chief! Move!" Cortana's urgent warning came at the perfect time, as when the amalgamation fired a thick green beam of energy raced towards the hero of humanity.

Chief was once again able to avoid the shot and returned fire immediately. "Behind you!" Cortana once again warned, allowing chief to turn and see what had happened. The green beam bounced off the wall and raced for the hero took a glancing blow, his shields shattering instantly on contact and blowing him forward.

The knight seeing this rushed forward its melee weapon charging and quickly raising to catch Chief mid-air but luckily, he'd have one more trick up his sleeve. A deep blue shield of hard light formed in front of chief, perfectly blocking the charged swing but like chief's armors shield, it to, shattered and smashed him into the ground with a bone rattling bang. Followed by a bright burst of green energy that seemed to melt the very ground underneath him.

It seems like the knight had completed a mission it didn't know it had. It had defeated the monster, the man, the green demon, the hero, the one and only master chief.

Chiefs hand shot up for the Knight's arm, grabbing onto the single point where the energy hadn't seemed to build then doing the utterly ridiculous action of pulling the uncharged weapon into his body and wrapping his leg up its arm. Then twisted, arm locking the entire monster then before pulling and ripping the melee arm off. The knight roared in both confusion and shock as it had thought it defeated its foe, only to lose its arm. 

The Knight back off quickly, realizing the legitimate danger it was in as well as how it hadn't completed it mission just yet either... 

Master chief slowly stood up from where he'd been batted, his armor scoring a large new dent and a few burns. Looking absolutely pissed.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm serious. 

Sorry about the slight degrade in quality, gotta get my groove back.