Chapter 13: The Dragon Rider

"I trust your evenings were enjoyable? After all your efforts, they were well deserved," Halsin began, addressing the group as they gathered, his towering figure casting a watchful gaze over them, accompanied by a friendly smile. "However, it may be some time before you find yourselves with such leisure again. There is much to be done, and I am here to assist you in any way I can."

Christinus spoke up, his tone laced with determination. "To Moonlight Towers, then?"

Halsin nodded, though his expression turned somber. "Yes, a cure may indeed lie there. But I must admit, it is a complicated matter."

The admission stirred anger in Christinus, his jaw tightening as frustration boiled within him. "Complicated? We are tired of half-truths and perilous trials."

Halsin met the elf's gaze evenly, his own demeanor unwavering. "The journey ahead is not to be taken lightly. It is fraught with peril, a path that demands more than mere courage. Yet it seems you are no strangers to danger."

Christinus's retort was sharp. "I expected more than vague prospects down a treacherous path from you."

Halsin raised an eyebrow, a hint of surprise crossing his features before his response came, firm and unyielding. "I will not apologize for the complexities of our quest, nor will I offer easy answers to soothe your frustrations. Naivety does not absolve one from the realities of our world."

The elf's countenance soured, his features contorting with disdain. Without a word, he pivoted away from the conversation, striding purposefully toward the map spread out across the campsite grounds. Unperturbed, Halsin pressed on. "To reach the Towers, you must traverse a place steeped in darkness and cursed by ancient magic. This curse veils everything in shadow, where no life thrives, and no natural light penetrates. Those who tarry too long are consumed by its malevolence, transformed into twisted specters of their former selves."

"How do we navigate through such a place?" Lilith interjected, her voice steady despite the gravity of the situation.

"You could brave the overland routes, following the risen road or venturing through the treacherous mountains. Initially easier, but eventually, you will confront the shadow curse. Alternatively, there's an underground passage concealed within the ruins of the temple of Selune, leading through the depths of the Underdark to the Towers. Ages ago, a man named Ketheric Thorm constructed a clandestine stronghold down there, amassing an army of Dark Justiciars, devout followers of Shar."

A spark ignited in Shadowheart's eyes, her elven ears perking up as she honed in on the druid's words.

"The band I once traveled with, before I was captured, sought to retrieve a relic known as the Nightsong. They sought passage to that very realm." This revelation gave pause even to Christinus, his mind flashing back to the haunting visions glimpsed through Ragszlin's eyes. Casting a glance over his shoulder at the group, he listened intently as Halsin continued, each word weighing heavily on their quest ahead.

"If we can locate the passage, I'm willing to bet it will unveil a more direct route to Moonrise Towers, perhaps even circumventing the worst of the shadow curse," Halsin added. 

Gale nodded in agreement. "It seems like the Underdark might be the safer option."

Christinus glanced back at the group, feigning curiosity. "You know, while conversing with Minthara, I glimpsed her map. Even she suspected a githyanki crèche nestled in the mountains. It would be imprudent not to explore this lead."

The group exchanged murmurs, unable to dispute the soundness of his reasoning. If they opted for Moonrise, they'd miss out on investigating this potential breakthrough.