Chapter 3: The Emerald Grove

The air within the encampment hung with a muted glow, as each weary soul sought solace in the hush of the night, a collective attempt to pacify minds wrestling with troubles. The stillness of the night, a welcome reprieve, promised an embrace of bountiful dreams—a sanctuary from the harshness of reality. In the quietude, visions of tranquil windowsills amidst a rainy day, soaring atop the majestic wings of a crimson dragon, and lively beach parties painted the canvas of their imaginations, offering each one a coveted escape.

However, amidst the shared yearning for respite, there existed an exception. Astarion, moving with the grace of a shadow, slipped away from the camp, meticulously checking his surroundings for any prying eyes before vanishing into the shelter of the woods. Mostly unseen, though not entirely, as a pair of silver eyes lingered in the shadows, silently observing his departure.

—----

Their path guided them toward the fabled grove mentioned earlier. A gate, entwined with ivy, obstructed their passage, but as they approached, an intense scene unfolded.

"Open the damn gate!" An injured soldier pleaded with the tiefling stationed atop the wall.

"What's happening?"

"Goblins are hot on our heels. Open it, Zevlor. Now!"

"You brought goblins here?! Where's the druid?"

"Please! There's no time!"

"By the nine hells..." He turned to another. "Open the gate!"

Their efforts proved tardy. The sound of hurried footsteps thundered in, and a swarm of red-skinned creatures with twisted faces and fangs ambushed the entrance. A pack and their monstrous allies scurried forth, one aiming an arrow at the gatekeeper and felling him.

"Kanon! No!!"

"Damn it! Form a line!"

A skirmish erupted, ensnaring the group in the fray. Lae'zel, always eager for combat, ascended a small cliff at their side to dispatch the goblins attempting to keep their distance. The rest corralled the remaining invaders, sealing off any escape routes and launching a relentless assault. It ended as swiftly as it began.

"Quickly! Before more arrive!" The gate ascended, unveiling the concealed grove within. The group hastened inside before the gate closed once more. Inside, the wounded soldier and Zevlor engaged in a heated dispute.

"There are children here, you imbecile!"

"We was running for our lives," the soldier panted, a heated expression forming on his features.

"You led them straight to us. And you let them take the Druid too. Unbelievable!"

Lilith approached the pair with a look of concern. "Is a fight necessary? Shouldn't we focus on the bigger problem at hand?"

"Tell that to the dead at the gate."

"Oh, shut it, horns. I'd be lying dead next to the goblins if you'd stalled any longer."

"My duty is to this camp!"

"God forbid you risk your precious tail." The soldier spat out. "But I shouldn't be surprised. Foulbloods ain't known for courage." The tiefling's jaw clenched in response, and he was about to erupt.

"More violence won't bring back those you lost," Lilith cut into the conversation with a soft tone. The tiefling looked to her for a moment before releasing the tension in his cheeks.

"You're right. There's too much at stake." He looked back to the human. "Squabbling is pointless. The goblins have found us."

"At least we have something we agree on." That was his final input before storming off with his crew. The tiefling turned to the maiden with a tired expression.