Skylar: Book 3

It's time for the final book in the Skylar trilogy. Will she escape the fire nation? Will she live to see the end of the war? Will she and Zuko ever get back together? Lets find out in her journey through Avatar: The Last Air-bender Book 3: Fire.

(3 weeks ago) Third Persons POV

"We've done it, Zuko. It's taken a hundred years, but the Fire Nation has conquered Ba Sing Se" Azula says smugly as she sits on the Earth King's throne.

"I betrayed uncle" Zuko mutters. And Skylar he adds in his head. Both Iroh and Skylar had been taken into custody.

"No, he betrayed you" Azula tells him as she stands up from the throne. "Zuko, when you return home, Father will welcome you as a war hero" she assures him.

"But I don't have the Avatar. What if Father doesn't restore my honor?" he asks her.

"He doesn't need to, Zuko" she tells him placing a hand on his shoulder. "Today, you restored your own honor" she states and leaves. Zuko feels uncertain, had he made the right choice? Would Skylar ever forgive him?

(mini time skip)

Zuko stands on the deck of the ship looking at the moon. As they sail back to the fire nation. Skylar and Iroh are locked in the dungeon. Mai joins Zuko on the deck. "Aren't you cold?" she asks him mildly concerned.

"I've got a lot on my mind" he tells her. "It's been so long, over three years since I was home. I wonder what's changed. I wonder how I've changed" he states an she yawns.

"I just asked if you were cold, I didn't ask for your whole life story" she says sarcastically. Zuko frowns at her sarcastic response. Mai giggles and holds his face in her hands. "Stop worrying" she tells him. She pecks him on the lips and leaves. Zuko frowns touching his lips, he didn't feel the same spark he had with Skylar when Mai kissed him.

Mai and he used to date before he left the fire nation. But they had ended things before he left. He didn't realize she still had feelings for him. But did he still have feelings for her? Could he love her again? Or does his heart belong to another?

Skylar's POV

"I will protect you as long as possible" Iroh tells me.

"Don't worry, I haven't given up fighting" I tell him. "But I can't believe Zuko betrayed us, betrayed you" I say sadly.

"Do not blame him Skylar, Azula got to him when he was at his most vulnerable. I still have hope he'll make the right decision in the end" he tells me.

"Yeah, well I don't plan on sticking around for that long" I tell him. "Think we'll be neighbors?" I ask.

"Perhaps, we're both high priority prisoners. But do not fright, I have a plan to escape and if you are still there when I escape. I'll take you with me" he states.

"Same here" I tell him.

"No, promise me if you ever get out. You'll run, promise me" he says.

"OK, I promise" I say reluctantly.

(Present: Fire Nation - Palace) Third Persons POV

"So Zuko killed the avatar and captured the female air bender?" Ozai asks Azula.

"Yes father, he made the fire nation proud" she states. "How is our prisoner?" she asks.

"Still fighting" he states.

"You must break her spirit father, then she will bend to your will" she tells him.

"What did you have in mind?" he asks her seeing the glint in his daughter's eyes.