Princess Athena: 2023 Little Mermaid

So I've just seen the new live action little mermaid for a second time and just had an inspiration to write this story. I won't actually write this story until it comes out f DVD. I know in the original Disney classic Ariel was sixteen, but I am going to make her eighteen. And her mother died when she was six, not five. Anyway I hope you enjoy this first chapter.

Third Persons POV

So nearly twelve years ago. Queen Athena of Atlantica died, because of humans. At the same time a baby was found washed ashore. By the king and queen wither their nine year old adopted son Prince Eric. Since they couldn't find her parents, they adopted her and named her Athena. That's how she went from being an orphan, to becoming Princess Athena.

She has a very similar personality to Melody from Little Mermaid 2. She loves the sea and is always swimming in it. Collecting shells and rocks from it. Even though her adopted mother forbids her from going into the sea. She is twelve years old and longs for freedom like her older brother. Along with wanting to sail with her brother, but no her mother says it is to dangerous.

Athena's POV

I sneaked out again to swim. I love swimming, I feel so free in the water. Like I belong there. Mum just doesn't understand my longing to be in the sea. Eric sort of understands, he loves sailing it and longs to explore the uncharted waters. But I want to find out more about what lives under the surface of the ocean. Which is why I collect shells, rocks and broken pieces of coral.

Anyway, I reached the shore and strip to my under dress. I grab my bag and enter the water. Once I was deep enough, I take a deep breath and dive into the water. I am really great at holding my breath. I can hold it for nearly two minutes under water.

I find an empty conch shell and smile. Eric would love it. I put it in my bag and go up for a breath. Before diving again, going deeper. The deeper I go, the cooler stuff I can find. I also see fish.

I smile as I spot a starfish on a rock. If only I take a picture of it. I'll just have to draw when I get home. I love drawing things I see under the sea. I dream about living under the sea and having a tail instead of legs. But I know it'll never happen. It's just a dream, that will never come true.

After collecting several other shells and some pebbles. I go onto a rock by the shore and start to go through the things I had collected. I take out the conch shell and exam it. It's so pretty. I put it to my ear and hear the ocean. I giggle. I can't wait to give it to Eric. It's his twenty-first birthday today. Except he is out at sea, mum said he'd be home tonight.

"Athena!" I hear someone call. I look at the shore and curse. It's Lashana, the head maid and she also baby sits me. Not that I need a baby sitter. I am twelve years old. I put the shell back in the bag and dive into the water. I swim to shore. "Again?" she asks hands on her hips.

"You know I love the sea" I mutter looking at the sand.

"Well get dressed, your mother wants you back at the castle" she tells me. I nod my head and step into my dress. She does it up for me. I slip into my shoes and we head back to the castle.

"We need to drop my stuff off at my room and brush my hair" I tell her.

"We'll have to be quick, your mother doesn't like to be kept waiting" she reminds me. I nod my head. We sneak up to my room. I put my bag in my closet and then sit at my vanity. She starts to dry my hair.

Soon there's a knock on the door. "Lashana, Athena. Rosa said she saw you both had returned" mum states. She enters the room and narrows her eyes on the towel Lashana was using to dry my hair. "Lashana, please give me and my daughter a moment" she says. Lashana bows and left the room. No doubt to attend to her other chores.

"Hi mum, beautiful day isn't it?" I ask her.

"You went in the see again didn't you?" she demands. I sigh. "Athena, you know the rules. You know you're not allowed in the sea" she reminds me.

"But why?" I ask her.

"You know about the shipwrecks" she states.

"Yeah, that happened out in the ocean. Not where I swim" I tell her.

"I never want you going out there again. Do you hear me? It's dangerous in the sea!" she tells me.

"How would you know? You've never even been in it!" I cry.

"You're grounded" she tells me. "No leaving the castle until you start to obey the rules" she tells me. I start to cry and she pulls me into her arms. "Oh darling, I hate upsetting you. But I only want you safe" she states. "Why don't I get Rosa and Lashana draw you a bath? You want to look nice for your brother when he gets home tonight, right?" she asks me. I nod my head. She kissed my forehead and left my room.

I go to my closet and take out the conch shell. I don't understand my mum's point of view at all. How could a world so beautiful, be dangerous? I mean look at all the stuff I've collected and the colourful fish. How can something so peaceful, be bad? Well mum can't keep me from it, I'll always return to the sea. I feel more at home there then in this castle.

I put the shell back and go down to have a bath. "Hi Princess Athena, I brought you a new dress" Rosa tells me. "It's blue like the sea" she states.

"Thank you Rosa" I say with a smile. I undress and get into the tub. Lashana washes me and my hair. Then Rosa helped me into my new dress. It's beautiful.

"I can't believe you're thirteen next year, we'll have to measure you for your first corset soon" Lashana states.

"Urgh, a corset" I groan and they both chuckle.

"They're not so bad, you get used to them" Rosa assures me. "There you are ready for lunch" she tells me. I smile and thank them. I head up to lunch. Mum compliments myself on my new dress, saying Eric would love it. After lunch, I went to the library to study and do my classes. As I work by the window I notice a storm on the horizon, I hope Eric doesn't get caught in it before he reaches the bay. I know he is a great sailor, but that storm looks bad.

A/N

Picture above of Athena on the cover.