Chapter 6. It Always Works Out

Catherine gently wiped the beads of sweat from Joseph's forehead, his complexion slowly showing signs of improvement though still too pale for comfort. You stood at the threshold of the room, peering in through the open door, torn between the urge to enter and the awareness that it wasn't your place to do so. The doctor, summoned by Billy, packed away his stethoscope in a worn leather case before rising to his feet, signaling Billy to join him for a discussion.

"He's running a high fever," the doctor pronounced, anyone could tell that from a mere touch of Joseph's skin. "And it's worsening, prepare yourself."

"What do you mean by that?" Billy's voice rose, his worry and frustration obvious. Catherine cast a concerned glance in his direction, her voice soft but commanding as she uttered his name, urging him to regain his composure. "Surely there's something you can prescribe, some form of medicine?" Billy persisted, ignoring Catherine, his tone a mix of desperation and anger.

"I'm sorry," the doctor replied with a shake of his head, attempting to leave the room.

But Billy, seized by a sudden surge of emotion, grabbed the doctor's arm, causing his suitcase to tumble to the floor. "What kind of doctor are you?" he demanded, his grip tight with frustration. The doctor's eyes widened momentarily at the unexpected forcefulness before he composed himself, gently shaking off Billy's grasp.

"I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker," he retorted, his tone firm yet tinged with sympathy. "There's little more we can do here beyond prayer." Retrieving his suitcase, he continued, "There is, however, another option, albeit neither cheap nor certain."

"What is it?" Catherine interjected; her voice filled with desperation. "I'll do anything."

"In this small town, options are limited," the doctor explained. "But there's a newly opened sanatorium in Albuquerque. It may offer him a chance."

"What's the cost?" Billy asked.

"Three hundred dollars for admission," the doctor replied solemnly. "The sooner he's admitted, the better. I can arrange for it tomorrow, but the funds must be provided by morning."

Suddenly, a loud noise diverted your attention to the front door, where a middle-aged man stumbled in and collapsed onto the floor. His disheveled appearance, unkempt hair and beard, and the overpowering stench of alcohol filled the room.

Ignoring the disruption, Catherine turned to the doctor. "We'll have the money for you by tomorrow," she assured him. With a nod of acknowledgment, the doctor hastily made his exit, stepping over the man sprawled on the floor. You couldn't help but stare at the man, his gaze locking with yours before you quickly looked away.

"Who's she?" the man slurred drunkenly.

"None of your business," Billy retorted, stepping protectively in front of you.

The man chuckled. "Rude bastard. You talk to your old man like that?"

Catherine approached and helped the man to his feet. "She's helping out at the restaurant. She's staying with us. Take her to her room, Billy." Billy nodded, taking your hand, and leading you out of the room.

"Great, another mouth to feed," the man grumbled as you were escorted away. "Because we have money to spare," he added sarcastically.

Billy guided you to your room, a small space furnished with just a single bed and a dresser. You sat down on the bed as Billy closed the door, then awkwardly perched himself on top of the dresser. The cramped quarters barely allowed room for both the bed and the dresser, with drawers barely able to open fully.

"Sorry, I'll stay with you for a while. I don't want to go outside," Billy explained, his gaze fixed on you as he leaned back against the dresser.

You nodded in understanding. "Your father, I'm guessing?" you ventured.