Chapter 2. In Your Care

"This one man," Billy declared, "has a gun." He aimed the firearm at the bigger man, and though you weren't well-versed in gun-slinging, his form seemed remarkable – straight, arm stretched out, head held high. The moonlight in the dim alley turned into a makeshift spotlight, casting a dramatic glow on Billy as if he were the lead actor in a Wild West drama.

The skinnier man instantly shrieked at the sight of the gun and promptly fell to the ground beside you. Both of you exchanged shocked glances as if he hadn't been attempting to rob you just a minute ago.

"...Do you even know how to use that, kid?" The bigger man's overconfidence faltered away, his hand extended to show he was unarmed.

"H-hey, you said this was going to be easy. I don't want to die!" The skinnier man's voice pitched up in panic.

"He's not going to do anything," the bigger man whispered to his companion, but you could hear it due to the proximity. "You want to catch a murder charge, kid?" he asked Billy with a nasty quivering grin.

As he finished speaking, a shot rang out, hitting the back of the brick wall. It was the first time you heard a gunshot at such close range, and you involuntarily jumped. You were right, and Jackie was wrong, the sound Jackie had made before did not resemble a gunshot at all.

The bigger man dropped to the floor with a loud grunt, clutching his right ear. From his reaction, you thought maybe the shot had hit, but he looked at his hand and touched his face, surprised that everything was still intact. If the aim had been one more inch or even a few centimeters to the left, the bigger man's brain would have hit that brick wall.

Billy approached; the gun still pointed toward the man. All three of you were huddled together on the floor now, and as Billy came closer, you caught a glimpse of his smirk. Now scared yourself, unsure if Billy was here to save you or here to rob you himself.

"Leave." Billy flicked his revolver in the direction of the street behind the alley, prompting the skinny guy to immediately jump up and dart out. The bigger man, still reeling from the shot, realized the danger he narrowly avoided. His overconfident facade crumbled.

The bigger man's mouth hung open as he watched his partner sprint away with unexpected speed. "...fuck," he muttered, pushing himself up and following his partner. "Next time I see you, you're dead!" he bellowed as he ran.

Billy looked out on the street making sure they were gone and not seen anymore before bringing his attention to you, "what are you doing here?" he smiled.

"Um," you hesitated, contemplating your response. Although Billy's revolver was no longer aimed, he still held it in his hand. "Just heading out," you replied, standing up and preparing to leave, wary of becoming a potential victim again.

As you began to leave Billy caught your hands, turning you back to face him. "Not even a thank you?" he teased. Noting your shocked reaction as his gaze followed yours to the revolver, he quickly tucked it back into his holster and released your hands. "Sorry, love," he reassured with a smile, patting off the dirt collected from your skirt.

Taking hold of both of your hands, he examined them, following the lines of your palms, and began dusting the dirt off them as well. The touch lingered for a couple of seconds too long, making you wonder if the dusting was just an excuse.

"Must be scary for a lady, I apologize," he said, his thumb grazing your hands before lifting it to his lips for a slight kiss. Your cheeks turned pink, and your mouth gasped at his action, prompting a small laugh from him. "You're expressive," he noted, letting go of your hands. "You're not going to tell me why you were in an alley by yourself?" He asks again.