Chapter 1. Crash in Time

220, 240...

"'¿Quién es? ¿Quién es?'" were his last words before he got shot by Sheriff Pat Garrett!" Jackie exclaimed, mimicking a gunshot noise with her mouth, "Kaboom."

"That is not what a gunshot sounds like," you snickered.

300, 310. You counted the last bill, $330. That is how much that ugly necklace got you— not even enough to pay your rent. Family heirloom, my ass; your deadbeat father left you nothing of real value.

"Were you even listening to the whole story?! Isn't that a tragic end?" Jackie looked at you with wide eyes, unable to believe you weren't enthralled by the tale of a long-gone criminal. Honestly, you would have preferred it if she talked about the Kardashians or some other celebrity modern gossip. Always been a wild-west freak, so much so she's dragging you to a Wild West festival, costumes and all. Jackie in a stereotypical Wild West cowboy outfit—jeans, a white button shirt, a top hat, and a pink vest—while you sported a classic white button and a long pink skirt, matching Jackie's vest for that cute couple look.

"Eyes on the road, please," you nagged, gently holding her cheek to steer her attention back to driving. "He was a criminal, anyway. What ending could have been more fitting? Dying at the hands of a sheriff is better than succumbing to some disease. Billy the Kid dying of tuberculosis would be much lamer."

"I don't know; I honestly would rather him die of old age. He was our age when he died, barely lived."

"Murderer sympathizer much? I swore he killed people." You tucked the dollar bills in your wallet, hoping the festival entrance fee was not much more than $20.

"Just a product of his time and circumstances. Though I guess you can't defend murder."

"Oh, you definitely can, like how I'm going to defend myself in court after murdering you for forcing me to spend my precious Saturday going to some lame festival." You joked, causing Jackie to push you slightly against the passenger car door.

"Hey! It's going to be fun; I swear. It's in Silver City, that's where Billy lived for a while too." You made a mouth-moving, mocking hand motion. Jackie glared at you, "I might just kill you." You smiled and looked out at the side window, observing the orange view of New Mexico's desert passing by. "I already wanted to kill you when you sold that beautiful necklace. If you had waited until my next paycheck, I would have bought it from you. That pawn dealer low-balled you."

"Rent duty calls." You shrugged. Beautiful wouldn't be a word you would use to describe that crusty necklace—vines made of silver connected in a circular formation, leaving the center empty, as though something precious had once been nestled there but had fallen off. It felt incomplete and empty, and staring at it would make you feel that way too. Unsure if those feelings came from the necklace or were inherited from your alcoholic father. You wished he left a month's worth of rent instead. You kept that thing for too long anyway, good riddance, to both the necklace and your dad.

"Hey," you turn to her, redirecting your attention, as she peered through the side window, curious about something that had captured her interest. A man on horseback, donned in attire mirroring your own. Standing on top of the hill, head following the car you are in.

"Must be a fellow festival-goer." you speculated, squinting at the tall figure in the blue button-up, sporting the same style of hat as Jackie, and carrying a long rifle. Wait? A rifle? No guns were allowed at the festival, real or prop.

"What? What are you seeing?"

Your gaze reluctantly tore away from the peculiar sight to the main road, only to spot a truck hurtling directly towards you. The collision was imminent. Fast. Forceful. "Jac-"You began to scream, but it was too late.. Jackie's old car stood no chance, careening into the New Mexico desert. Windows shattered, sending fragments of glass airborne— one grazing your cheek, leaving a thin line perilously close to your eye. Another inch, and it would have struck your right eye. Airbags deployed, and time seemed to move in slow motion. Bracing for the impending impact between your face and the airbags, you closed your eyes, but nothing followed.