Chapter 3. Boyfriend and Girlfriend

Start from the beginning

Joseph initially froze at the unexpected affection but then softened. "You think so?" he asked, his words muffled by squished cheeks.

"Oh, I know so! You can interest them by showing them how your hair can never be tamed!" Joseph giggled, and as you released his face, you could feel the warmth radiating from his cheeks lingering on your palm—a clear sign of his fever.

"Having fun?" a voice caught your attention, looking toward the door where Billy stood, casually leaning against it. He greeted you with a charming smile, "Ruby, let me introduce you to my ma."

Billy proved himself to be a skilled storyteller as you sat down for dinner with him and his mother. Throughout the meal, she shared her sympathy, imagining your ordeal of being kidnapped and waking up in an unfamiliar town. You shot a disapproving glance at Billy, who avoided meeting your gaze but continued embellishing the story. He spoke of your aimless wandering, the sense of hopelessness, and the encounter with the robbers that led him to your rescue. His mother gasped loudly, her eyes welling with tears as she praised your strength, uttering phrases like, "God bless your soul, you didn't deserve that."

You finished the last bite of your eggs, a meal you were extremely grateful for as the last time you ate was close to 24 hours ago. "I'm heading home today," you declared.

"Do you remember how to get home, Ru?" Billy's mom asked, affectionately using the nickname she had created for you.

"Yeah," you lied. "I just need to get on the main road, and I can find my way."

Billy's mother regarded you with concern, suggesting, "Go with her, Billy." Before you could decline the offer, Billy nonchalantly put on his hat, securing his trusty holster strapped to his hip.

"That was my plan," he said, causing a mix of worry and relief to wash over you. The concern was about the possibility of embarrassing yourself if you couldn't find your way home, but you were also comforted by the thought of not venturing alone.

Before you left, Billy's mother insisted on providing you with money for a carriage and horse, emphasizing the impracticality of walking, especially considering the closest town's distance—hundreds of miles away. Politely declining, as you planned to journey just far enough to get a signal and call for help.

As you strolled alongside Billy through the town, you cast a sidelong glance at him and realized he was quite tall. His piercing blue eyes, reminiscent of his mother's, caught your attention. During breakfast together, the resemblance between mother and son had struck you, making you wonder about their late father. Did he share Billy's looks? Maybe the height or those beautiful brown curls? Lost in thought, you were brought back to the present when Billy caught you examining him and flashed a playful smirk, asking, "Like the view?"

You shifted your focus to the road, attempting to find something else to occupy your attention. An old man struggling with a chicken became your chosen diversion. The bird squirmed and plucked all over the man's arms. "Not really," you replied, adding, "Quite a lie back there."

"I hope that's a compliment. Couldn't work much with anything you've given me," Billy retorted. Fair enough; you had been secretive about your origins. You couldn't exactly tell him, "Hey, Billy, I might be from the future, but I have nothing to prove it except my phone and wallet. Also, my history knowledge is terrible, so I can't recall any significant events at this time." He might send you to an insane asylum if he was empathetic, much kinder than leaving a crazy woman to die on the streets.

Besides, you were still holding onto the hope that maybe this town was just extremely remote, a place with little to no human contact. You heard stories of tribes who had little to no human contact before, and maybe this Wild West town was one of them. Of course, there were plenty of holes in your explanation for this town, but comparing it to the time travel theory, it didn't seem much crazier.