Maybe Our Last Time Together

Soojin

I was peacefully sleeping until the bright sun rays pierced through my window, and I knew exactly who was responsible - my elder sister, Sooah Min.

"Get up, little one. We don't want to miss the bus, right?" Sooah said, yanking the duvet off me.

"A little more, unnie (elder sister in Korean), please," I mumbled, trying to reclaim the duvet from her grasp, but she was too quick.

"It's already 9 o'clock, you fool. We will miss the bus," she said, glancing at the clock.

"Ahhh!!! I am coming within ten minutes," I shouted at the top of my lungs. I would never forgive her for waking me up so late. We might miss our school picnic, and I didn't want that to happen.

After a frantic ten minutes, I emerged and found Alain already standing at my door.

"Come on, girls. We will be late; let's hurry up," said that energetic boy as he sprinted ahead, with us struggling to keep up. Even if I trained for a marathon, I’d never match his pace. His fitness was on another level.

"So, sissy dressed up well for Alain?" Sooah smirked at me, and I shot her a disgusted look.

"Kabir will be impressed today, unnie, I bet," I retorted with a smirk of my own and quickened my pace. I had no doubt my dear sister and her classmate Kabir had feelings for each other, but both were too scared to confess.

Meanwhile, she shipped me with Alain. Never in my wildest nightmares would I fall for that boy.

I caught sight of the school bus and quickly hopped in after marking myself present from my class teacher. As I explored the interior of the bus, I saw Alain and an empty seat beside him. I was certain he saved that seat for me; an empty seat next to him was as rare as a blue moon.

"Thanks for saving this. Wanna have some?" I said, sitting down and passing him his favorite cucumber sandwiches with extra cheese.

"I saved this seat for you because I can’t miss Mrs. Min’s handmade sandwiches," he said, taking one from my hand and devouring it.

"Very funny, haha," I gave him a sarcastic laugh and looked out of the window as the bus departed from our school.

"You should perform that sarcastic laugh at a circus. They would pay you well," he teased, turning my face to look at him.

"As if the real monkey isn’t sitting next to me. Why don’t you try your luck there?" I retorted, pushing his hand away from my face and opening my lunchbox to enjoy a sandwich.

After our playful banter and a lot of laughter and fun inside the bus, we reached our destination. It was 4 o'clock by now, and we were greeted by the splendid view of the setting sun. Witnessing such a view from a hilltop had always been on my bucket list.

The yellowish-orange hues of the setting sun painted the entire sky – everything looked so beautiful. I wondered why people built tall buildings to get this view when I, Soojin Min, was enjoying it just by standing on a hilltop.

"Soo, won't you join us for barbecues?" Alain's voice interrupted my reverie, and I took brisk steps toward the bonfire.

The evening went splendidly. We had karaoke sessions, and our PT teacher turned out to be an unexpectedly good singer. I never thought he could sing so beautifully with his hoarse voice. Alain was great too.

It was midnight now; everyone had gone to sleep, but I couldn’t. I wanted to enjoy the view of the stars above me. Sleep could wait. That wasn’t a sight I could see every day.

"Soojin, I didn’t realize you were a night owl too," came a familiar voice. I recognized it without even looking back – it was Alain.

"Nah bro, just enjoying a rare sight that we don’t get to see in DC," I said, bringing my knees closer to my chest. "I wanted company anyway. Thanks, bestie."

Alain sat next to me and placed his head on my shoulder. The sweet scent of his cologne mingled with the fresh smell of the night air. I found myself breathing deeply, savoring the heavenly fragrance.

"Just stay like this. It's perfect... The stargazing, us, sitting on soft grass, the cool breeze, everything is perfect. I wish I could stop time because I want to stay like this. No worries about life; it feels so good," Alain said, closing his eyes.

I gazed at his head, reminiscing about the countless times I had gotten into trouble due to my adventurous and mischievous personality, and how Alain had always been there for me. I wanted to stay with him forever. Alain, please don’t ever leave me.

"Can’t you speak, Soo?" he said, rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, let’s go. If Sooah sees us, she will get us in trouble. If anybody sees us, they will start doubting us," I said, and we both got up and headed towards our tents.

I hopped onto my bed and drifted into dreamland.

"Someone save us, please! Is there anyone? Hello? We are running out of breath."

I heard a strange voice but couldn’t figure it out. Everything looked blurry. I could just see the middle of a highway. Where was the voice coming from? I wasn’t physically present there either. I was just seeing things… what on Earth had happened?