Inspiration

Soojin

“What the fuck happened?” I said with a raised voice, pulling him inside.

I made him sit on the couch and hurried upstairs, grabbing the first aid kit. I didn’t call Sooah since she was still under the influence of alcohol.

“I got into a fight with some gangsters,” Alex said, smiling.

“How? Why?”

“I tried to hack their computer to give evidence of their illegal activities to the police. I succeeded, and the police arrested them. However, more gang members arrived from abroad and attacked me because I got some more,” Alex explained calmly, as if he’d been in a fight with his school mates.

“Why do you do these things? Why come here?” I bombarded him with questions, because I was worried.

“I’m a secret cyber agent for the police. Don’t tell anyone. The place I got beaten up was near your house, and I needed medical help, so I called you. But it seems I’ve disturbed you greatly,” he said, taking his coat and about to leave when I pulled him by his wrist.

He was weak, that he ended up on top of me on the couch. Our faces were just a few centimetres apart. I studied his dark whiskey eyes, perfectly sculpted cheekbones, and sharp jawline.

Unconsciously, I was captivated by his features. I trailed my fingers along his jawline. It was sharp yet soft.

He smiled, and I realized what I was doing. I pushed him away and covered my face with my palms. What had I done?

“Sorry,” I mumbled.

“It’s okay, not your fault,” he smirked and pulled me into his lap. “Now that you’ve traced your fingers over my face, can I have the same opportunity?”

I hummed in response. He started trailing his fingers over my features, stroking my cheeks. His fingers were soft yet cold, sending shivers down my spine. I closed my eyes, savouring the sensation.

“Soojin, do you love me?” Alex asked, and I looked into his eyes.

“It’s too soon. I don’t know,” I said, avoiding his gaze.

“How do you feel about me? About us?”

“I feel comfortable around you. I feel important and loved. Sometimes, you irritate me too,” I smiled, and he chuckled.

“That’s what love is, Soojin. I must leave now. We have work tomorrow. See you,” he said, standing up.

“Is it safe for you to leave? What if they find you again?”

“They won’t. They thought I was unconscious after they beat me. I just acted,” he winked and left.

That familiar emptiness returned as he left. I clutched the first aid box tightly and went to sleep.

Two weeks later:

A lot had happened in the past two weeks. Alex and I went on small dates. He still irritated me, but I felt good around him. Sooah and Kabir were getting closer too. I wanted to meet Kabir, but Sooah said I’d meet him once their relationship was official.

“Soojin, want to hit the club today?” Alex asked, approaching me.

“Alex, I want to, but I’m busy with new projects,” I said, typing on my laptop. I was still unsure about what to create. Currently, I was helping in the construction of a telescope for better views of distant galaxies, planets, stars and other celestial bodies.

I was still pondering on what to construct. Miss Stephen said that the company was ready to invest in my project but it would be my own solo project. I could only get financial support & help but ideas had to be mine.

I saw Alex leave with a sad face. I looked out the window. The sun was no longer visible. I decided to work until 8 o’clock. I loved keeping myself busy. Evening skies were my favorite—violet with smoky clouds, a beautiful yet, colourless combination. So paradoxical.

Leaves danced to the melodious tune of the wind. The stars, hidden during the day, began to appear. I moved closer to the window, observing the difference between the silent sky and bustling streets.

I glanced at those streets from the 18ft tall building where I saw standing. Only a difference of 18ft....I thought. Still this place felt so quiet....so mysterious.

“AHHHHH!” I screamed when a figure in black appeared. Her face was covered with a mask.

“Relax, Miss Min, it’s me,” Miss Stephen said, removing her mask. “I didn’t mean to scare you, but why are you working late?”

“Oh, I wanted to think more about my solo project.”

“Can looking out the window help?” she tilted her head, and we both looked outside.

“Soojin, see the stars,” she pointed. They formed part of a constellation, but I was too lazy to figure out which one.

“They’re beautiful,” I said, but she scoffed, expecting a more thoughtful response. “My grandma used to say that when people die, they become stars, watching over their loved ones.”

“The craters formed by the stars remind me of her. She was my only family. The stars remind me of her wrinkles and her beautiful dimpled smile,” Miss Stephen said calmly.

“Don’t you have someone you miss, Soojin? Use the stars as your inspiration for your solo project,” she said, leaving me puzzled.

But little did I know, her last words sparked a brilliant idea in my mind.