Misery Disguised As Happiness

Soojin

I opened my eyes when someone shook me vigorously.

"What happened, Soo? Why are you crying? Nightmare?" Alice’s voice broke through my foggy distress, and I realized it was nothing to be scared of.

"Ah, yes. Quite a terrifying one... by the way, when is the bus leaving?" I asked, glancing at the alarm clock.

"Within fifteen minutes, Soojin. Sooah got tired of waking you up, so she bestowed us with this honorable responsibility. Brush quickly and come out. No need to take a shower; it's already cold. Change your clothes too," she said, handing me my brush.

They left me alone. Shaking off the nightmare, I hurriedly got ready and boarded the bus, which took us to school. Afterward, Sooah, Alain, and I walked back home.

I was elated that my plan had succeeded. For two weeks, plus throughout the school picnic, everyone got rid of Elisha. Thanks to Alice, if she hadn't disposed the bottle on time, we might have been caught. But all was well. We did not get caught.

I collapsed onto my bed after the long and tiring school picnic. After such a busy week, I craved a good night’s sleep. I hoped not to have any nightmares. I longed for peaceful slumber.

I woke up late the next day, but the atmosphere was different because...

That day was my birthday, and birthdays were always special to me. I didn’t go to school that day, but Alain invited me to his home. I knew he had planned something for me, but he really didn’t have to. He was coming to my house for my birthday party anyway.

"Soojinah, don't forget to visit Alain once he returns from school, okay? I hope you remember," my mom said, decorating the house with balloons.

"Yes, eomma (mother in Korean)," I said, munching on my breakfast.

"Happy 15th. So, you aren't going to school today, right?" my elder sister said, adding milk to her glass.

"You already know my answer," I replied, not lifting my gaze from my bowl. Sooah nodded, grabbed her bag, and left for school. I didn’t know why, but I never felt like going to school on my birthdays. But that was okay.

Every individual is unique. That’s why we’re called 'humans,' not 'robots.'

It was 4 o'clock now. Alain must have returned from school by now. Sooah hadn’t returned yet. I suspected she must have gone somewhere with her so-called friends.

Without further delay, I donned my pink hoodie and black cargo pants and headed to Alain’s house, which was just two blocks away.

I reached his house and rang the bell, but there was no response. I noticed the door was ajared, so I stepped inside. Where were his parents?

I climbed the stairs and entered Alain’s room, which was filled with darkness.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SOOJIN MIN," a chorus of voices greeted me as the lights switched on.

There, right in front of me, stood Alain. Dressed in a perfectly tailored blue suit, he held a cake for me. His dark hair was neatly combed, adding to his polished look. A subtle smile played upon his lips, exuding confidence.

Though a high school student, his features were remarkable. Shining eyes, a sharp jawline, beautiful cheekbones – everything about him seemed ethereal. It was as if God had taken extra time sculpting him, bestowing him with those Greek God looks.

God! Why was I having such strange thoughts about this idiot? I guessee happiness had messed with my brain.

"Soojin, you didn’t like it?" I heard Alain’s voice and gave him a smile.

"I didn’t like it," I said, watching his and his family’s faces fall. "I love it," I immediately hugged Alain and thanked him and his family for this beautiful surprise.

I cut the cake, and his parents left us alone in his room.

"Don’t be late today. Also, what was the need for all this?" I questioned him while eating the cake. "This cake is delicious. Where did you buy it?"

"From Alain’s bakery," he winked, and I immediately understood that he had baked it himself. Bro’s gonna be a good chef.

I checked the time and felt the need to return home. I bid them goodbye and made my way back.

It was 9 o’clock now, and neither Alain nor his family had arrived. Where were they? Were they stuck somewhere?

"Soojinah, cut the cake please. Don’t wait any longer. Your friends need to return home too. It’s already dinner time," my mom said, checking the time.

I had postponed her requests previously, but this time I couldn’t. Why were you being so late, Alain? Where on Earth were you?

I cut the cake, and everyone sang happy birthday. I didn’t enjoy these childish celebrations, but my parents still treated me like a child. I had told them nearly a thousand times that I didn’t like big parties, but they still did.

I wanted a small gathering with just my and Alain’s families. That would have been more than enough for me. I was not a party girl like my elder sister Sooah. The song 'happy birthday' didn’t sound melodious to me because it was missing my best friend’s voice.

After dinner, everyone left. My parents weren’t angry with Alain’s family, assuming they were busy with some urgent work, but I was deeply disappointed with Alain.

He could have at least given me a call.

Feeling upset, I went to bed. I wasn’t in the mood to forgive him tomorrow either.

"Someone save us!"

"Is there anyone out there?"

"We're going to die. Someone help us, please."

"Mom, mom, get up. OMG! Don’t close your eyes, please. Someone will come, ah."