Chapter 23

Hello everyone!

Today this fanfic is ranked #3 in kotlc (February 26th, 2023)!!

Thank you so much for making this happen, I love you all!

This is how I imagine Jewels to look like btw

Sophie followed Ruy across the dark halls of the Neverseen base

Sophie followed Ruy across the dark halls of the Neverseen base. Even though it was lunch time, the dorms located in the hallway were silent.

Sophie inspected the black walls. They looked new and clean, but something about the way it was constructed gave Sophie a feeling that this building was old. How old was the Neverseen?

Ruy kept glancing at her nervously, but something about his gaze seemed genuine as if he was concerned about her. Sophie wanted to kick him in the stomach-he didn't want his pity after all the horrible things he had done to her.

The boy glanced at her one more time, and Sophie snapped, "Stop looking at me like that, I don't want your pity!"

Ruy looked away from her as he stammered, "Sorry, I just-"

"Just what?" Sophie asked impatiently.

Ruy looked at the floor as he said, "I was just thinking about all the time I have hurt you, and I realized that I don't deserve to speak to you."

He took a deep breath as Sophie blankly stared at him.

"I realized that I don't deserve to be forgiven. Every time I look at you, it makes me think of your expression when I hurt you and your friends. What I did to you was cruel and unforgivable. I know an apology won't change the bruises I gave you but I have to say it. I'm sorry, Sophie."

Sophie scrambled to reply as her mind went blank. She hadn't expected him to go so deep. They stayed staring at each other for heaven knows how long as Sophie suddenly tripped and fell on the rocky ground.

Sophie cursed silently as Ruy helped her get up. She stared at the boy as he whispered, "Look, I'm not trying to force you to forgive me. I know I don't deserve it. But I just want you to know that I'm here whenever you need a friend."

The word "friend" triggered something inside Sophie as she shuddered for no reason. The word reminded her of her "friends" back when she was still the Moonlark. Keefe's smirk, Biana's laughter, Dex's grin, and Fitz's smile came crashing back to her. Sadness and anger threatened to possess her as Sophie took deep breaths to clear her thoughts.

Sophie placed her hand on her empty chest. Her heart felt hollow and bruised, a sign that she had been suffering alone for too long. She hadn't realized how badly she needed a friend, but was she really ready for a friend?

She scrambled back from Ruy as she said, "You're right you don't deserve to be forgiven. But... if you are willing to change, then maybe there is a tiny chance that we can start over."