Chapter 13

Hi guys!

I literally, can't believe that it's already January 5th!

I swear time passes by faster as you get older.

Okay, I've stalled enough, here's the chapter.

Sophie woke up and immediately realized that Keefe was not by her side.

Light shone from her massive glass wall, flashing into her eyes. Sophie rose up to her feet and headed downstairs. Edaline was in the kitchen making breakfast. Smell of hot chocolate tingled Sophie's nose. 

"Morning," Sophie said startling Edaline so bad she nearly dropped her plate full of food. 

"Oh, you're awake. " Edaline said, wiping her hands in her apron. " Did you have a good night sleep?"

"Yeah, I guess," Sophie was glad that it wasn't a lie. Despite having a slight ache in her back due to sleeping on the floor, she had slept like a baby. It was her first night without nightmares in a while. "Um, where's Keefe?"

Edaline frowned slightly but her face quickly returned to her usual comforting smile. "He left early in the morning, told me to tell you to hail him when you're awake. "

Sophie's cheeks burned. Edaline looked at her teasingly, "He really loves you, Sophie."

Sophie cleared her throat and changed the topic. "What time is it?"

Edaline looked at her with anther teasing smile. "1 pm"

Sophie looked at her adoptive mother with shock, "1 PM?"

"Look honey, you haven't slept this long since... well for a while. It's ok, I have your breakfast, uh, lunch ready." Edaline went to the dining room and placed her homemade food on the table. Sophie followed her and sat in one of the chairs.

On top of Havenfield's fancy plate was a weird looking pastry shaped like a muffin. Sophie took a bite, the food was hot and it nearly burned her tongue, but the pain was worth it. Each bite tasted like melting chocolate, sweat, rich, and creamy. Sophie looked at Edaline with wide eyes. 

Edaline smiled. "Oh, you like it? It's a new recipe, I wasn't sure if it would work. I'm glad it suits your taste."

"Wasn't sure if it would work? This is one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth!" Sophie exclaimed. 

"I see, you guys are having all the fun without me." Grady teased, entering the room.

Sophie didn't even try to look away from the amazing food. "Grady, you have to try this, it's seriously so good."

Grady grabbed one of the pastry from Sophie's plate and took a bite. He wiped his mouth as he said, "You're right Sophie, this is the best thing I've ever eaten." 

Edaline smiled as Grady took a sit on the table, grabbing more pastries. "Hey, that's mine!" Sophie said, stuffing more in her mouth, determined to eat more than Grady.

Soon Grady and Sophie were competing for Edaline's pastry, which she chose to name Muffywins. When Sophie felt like she could not possibly eat more, she looked up from her plate and realized that Grady and Edaline were watching her with smiles. 

Why were they looking at her like that? Did she have food stains on her clothe-

Then it clicked. They were relieved

After her little "incident" in Mr. Forkle's office she had not been smiling as much as she used to. That must have worried them, a lot. How could Sophie not have noticed? She didn't want to worry her parents any further, having a freak for child must be overwhelming enough-