Chapter 18

Hi guys :)

I just want to say thanks to everyone reading, voting, and commenting, it really makes my day!

Here's your chapter

Sophie's breathe was uneven as she followed Sandor in the halls of Lumenaria. 

She had met her bodyguard just after she escaped her cell. He had explained that he had come to her rescue and had purposely set an alarm off during his way to her cell to distract the guards. Sophie did not know how he had managed to not get caught in this risky process but decided to keep quiet. 

"Where are we heading to?" Sophie managed to gasp between her rapid breathing. They had been running for a quite while now, and after her long time locked up in a cell her muscles were not happy with her.

"To the secret exit at the back of the prison." Sandor said, not even slightly winded. 

Sophie wished her lungs were as good as the goblin's. 

"How do you know about the gate?" She asked, grabbing her aching ribs with her hand.

"The Councill assigned me to be one of the guards here a few years ago, before I was your bodyguard." Sandor explained, then looks at her ringers wrapped around her ribs. "Ms. Foster are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, just slightly winded." Sophie said, though "slightly" was an understatement.

"I can carry you if you want to." He offered.

"No, it's fine." Sophie assured.

She focused on her surrounding to distract herself from her tiredness. The lumenite walls glittered even in the dark halls of the prison. She remembered that the Council purposely made the building in lumenite as it does not catch fire-even Everblaze. But now that Sophie had witnessed the building crumble to pieces by just simple channeling, the hard work the elves put into constructing this place fire proof seemed pointless. Shiver shot through her spine as her photographic memory recalled the moment of the collapsing building. She immediately shut down the thought. Sometimes memories were too painful to recall. 

Sophie stopped running as she noticed Sandor stop in his tracks. 

"Someone's following us." He said, sniffing the air.

Sophie looked behind her but didn't see anything. With the loud alarm still going on, it was impossible to notice anyone following them by sound. 

"I don't see anyone." Sophie said, narrowing her eyes across the halls of endless cells. 

Then she saw it-three figures running in the distance towards them. They were all goblins, probably Lumenaria's guards. All three of them had goblin throwing stars on their hands, ready to take Sophie down in just one move. 

Her hands turned sweaty as she tried her best to not curse. 

"Run." Sandor ordered. 

Sophie didn't hesitate a second before she ran to the opposite direction of the figures. 

"Stop running! We have direct orders from the Council to kill any elf escaping Lumenaria!" One of the goblins chasing her screamed.

Sophie almost stopped sprinting. She was almost okay with dying, she had nothing else to live for, her friends betrayed her, the Elvin society hated her, she was a criminal awaiting a tribunal. But if Sandor died rescuing her, she would not be able to forgive herself. 

Guilt rose from her heart. 

This is all your fault, Sophie. 

This time Sophie didn't try to ignore the voice.