Chapter Forty-Nine

Start from the beginning

I held my breath and looked up at the ceiling, just imagining myself somewhere different for a change. I wish I was with Larz right now. He'd know how to make it all better with his words and kisses. He made my fast life slow down and take a break so I could breathe. I needed him right now.

"Misty." Allen started causing my head to drop from looking up at the ceiling to his face.

"Yes?" I replied to him.

"I know this is hard to believe coming from me or your mother but we both have something in common with each other." He said.

I scoffed, "Yeah, what's that?" I asked him. I hadn't realized how tense I was right now until I finally found the courage to release my tense body and lay my back against the sofa. It was clenching so hard now my back hurt.

"That we both love you." He replied.

I stared at him blankly.

"And each other." He added.

My mother put the breaks there. "I think that has had its time and expired, Allen don't fill the girl with a lie like that. Remember who you chose and because of that I chose not to be part in your life anymore." She said harshly, she seemed suddenly angered by what Allen had said to me.

His amber-orange flecked eyes flashed with what looked like hurt at what my mother said. If there was one thing that she was good at it was hurting someone's feelings and not looking the least bit bothered by it. Sometimes I wondered if my mother was just born with a cold heart like that.

"Evie-." He started.

Wow. He even had a nickname for her.

My mother furrowed her brows and her face scrunched up in frustration. "Don't call me that." She hissed.

Allen's eyes was locked on my mother looking confused, frustrated and just sad all in one face. It was almost sad to look at, then again I've never met the man until today and it was hard to feel sympathy for him. I honestly did know who trust at this point.

I listened as my mother and father went back and forth which just consisted of my mother pushing away and hissing at him and Allen trying to convince her to listen until I've hand enough for the moment and stood up abruptly.

They both looked at me, both of them were shook into silence.

"WHERE is the bathroom?" I asked Allen seriously fed up and almost seriously regretting this trip. He licked his lips lightly, his eyes trailed over to my mother for a moment who resumed in looking out the window before he turned back to me.

"Down the hall 3rd door to the left." He stated. "Are you alright?" He asked me.

I turned towards the direction. "I'm fine." I replied before I made my way to the bathroom. It was quiet all the while I walked to the restroom and just assumed they were going to wait for me to close the door before they started speaking again.

In the bathroom, I gripped the sink tightly as I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked frustrated, tired, and just plain over it. I took the opportunity to splash some water on my face and tousle my hair a bit to get my mind of things for a moment. After I was done I grabbed the nearest towel and patted my face dry.

Was this going to be my life? Going back forth from parent to parent trying to figure out who's lying and who's not. What there motive was? It was giving me this deep sinking feeling that we could never truly be a happy family. I wasn't going to get that picture perfect life that I always dreamed about as a kid, the kind I'd always seem my other friends have. How both parents could be in their lives and I could barely have one.