Chapter Forty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"Misty." She started.

I arched my eyebrow, "Yes, Ginger?" I asked her.

"You have work to do." She stated.

I smiled, "Like, I don't already know that." I said gesturing to the work I was pulling right now.

She sighed and shook her head. "I'd tell you what you'd have to do, but your mother-I mean Ms. Paul asked to speak to you." She said.

I almost laughed at her correcting herself mid-sentence to change mother to Ms. Paul.

"What, now?" I asked her.

She nodded. "Right now." She repeated.

I pouted. I didn't want to see my mother right now. It was already bad enough I had to see her around her house since I stayed there every time I came to Cali which was every weekend. I saw her a bit too often than I had planned to when I agreed to stay with her.

I stood up abruptly, "Excuse me." I excused myself out of the room and towards my mother's office which I've become oh too familiar with in the short amount of time I've been recording at the studio.

I passed a couple of people I've come used to seeing around the establishment. They were all nice and friendly to me either waving or saying hi whenever we crossed paths.

"Hey, Misty." A girl said to me.

"Hey." I replied back continuing the long walk to the office which was on the other side of the building. My mother always chose the right times to call me into her office. Especially when I was starting to feel my legs cramp up at this point.

Eventually I made it to the room, I knocked lightly on the door and heard my mother's formal and direct voice call out for me to come in, which I did closing the door behind me as I entered.

She looked up from some paperwork on her desk and gave me a once-over.

"Yes?" She asked me when I just stood there waiting for her to tell me whatever the hell was her reason for calling me to her area.

"You called for me." I reminded her.

She gave me a confused stare for a moment before she nodded to herself.

"Oh yeah." She put her pen down and leaned back into her spinny chair.

"I got more things for you to do." She started.

"Oh really? What is it?" I asked her curiously.

"You're on break now, right...with school and all?" She asked.

I nodded my head.

"Good...you're performing at summer jam." She stated.

My eyes would bug out at that moment but like I said I lacked the functions of a normal person at this point so only thing I could manage was the noise in the back of my throat uttering my utmost surprise.

My mother rolled her eyes, "Don't be surprised...you're on the radar now it's almost expected of you to show up." She said to me.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I just wasn't expecting it to be so soon." I said.

She smirked, "Nothing is too soon in this industry, daughter of mine..." Her eyes trailed over to me for a second before she sat back up in her chair.

"Of course since the summer is here, that means you need to put out a summer hit, which means you need to make a new song...preferably something jumpy people can dance to since it's all about the parties now." She folded her hands together and her eyes remained focused on my unfazed posture.