Chapter 24

I glance over at Arnav, surrounded by reporters and camera flashes. Some faces in the crowd express disgust, others happiness, and a few show pity. Arnav senses my nervousness and reaches out, gently holding my trembling hands. He whispers, "I am by your side. You've got this!" His words bring a wave of relief, and a newfound confidence takes over as I stride towards the designated area.

As I settle into my seat, the relentless barrage of camera flashes blinds me momentarily. I instinctively hide behind Arnav, regretting not opting for sunglasses. Arnav, with a protective anger in his tone, addresses the reporters, "Enough! My wife is going to lose her eyesight. Ask us the questions, one by one." His stern words create a momentary hush in the chaotic atmosphere, allowing us to prepare for the barrage of inquiries about to come our way.

Reporter: So, Ms. Raizada, how come it took you all your life to expose your dad? Are you doing this for the sake of winning his business over?

Before Arnav can intervene, I decide to take charge. This is my battle, and if I don't speak up now, people will continue to underestimate me.

Me: It's easy for people to assume that speaking up against abuse is simple. For the victim, it takes tremendous strength and confidence. Throughout my childhood, I thought enduring emotional abuse was normal—a way for my parents to express love. It was only later that I realised it wasn't. Growing up in such an environment, I didn't understand what it meant to stand up for myself or have a voice. After marrying Arnav and spending time with him and his family, I learned the power of speaking up and having a backbone. While it may seem like I'm after his money, I'm actually seeking to change his mindset. Taking over the business is my way of demonstrating to him and countless others that a girl is just as capable as a guy.

Reporter: Why do you want to do that? He is already in jail, facing the consequences of his crimes.

Me: I know I don't have to, but right now, even in jail, he blames me. I no longer seek his love, but I do aim to challenge and change his mindset. I'll transform his business without relying on any family members. No more questions.

I stand up with determination in my eyes, walking to the car with Arnav right beside me, his smile matching mine. I did it! I regained my confidence. As soon as I sit in the car, a happy and shocked Arnav pulls me into a hug.

Arnav: I knew you could do this! Do you want to go out somewhere to celebrate?

I'm about to nod when I remember my plans to see Payal. I'm staying with her and Buaji.

Me (apologetic): Sorry, Arnav. I told Payal I would stay over at her home with Buaji. Is that fine? Arnav's face changes from a smile to a frown.

Arnav: How will I survive without you?

I laugh at his cute frown, and he joins in.

Arnav: I'll drop you off.

Soon, we are on our way to Payal's home.

Arnav (curious) - Why do you call Bua, buaji? I haven't heard you mention her before either.

Me - Payal used to call her buaji, so I started calling her that. You know, when I was young, I used to visit Payal's home after class without my parents knowing. My parents didn't like Payal because she was "poor." So every time I would visit her home, her buaji would greet me. Payal's parents passed away in an accident, so buaji took her in. Although she had no parents, buaji fulfilled all her wishes and cravings. Soon, as I started visiting often, Buaji also treated me like her own niece. Despite barely having money to feed two, she tried to make sure I never left her home with an empty stomach. She realised before me that my parents neglected me but didn't say anything. She never asked me about my family or questioned why I kept coming to her home. She smiled and took me in. She even made a nickname for me... titaliya... Meaning butterfly... She saw me as a free and lively girl who was full of hope and happiness. I haven't seen her in a long time and never got the opportunity to tell you about her.

Arnav: She seems like an angel; your list of loved ones is just increasing and increasing... I wish I had a buaji like her, but it's just Mum and Dad.

Me: And me... I am here for you... And (mischievous) Aman.

As if on cue, Aman calls up, and Arnav gets busy with his conversation, while I close my eyes. Despite having my eyes closed, I could feel his eyes on me from time to time, as if checking if I was fine. As the call comes to an end, I feel the car stop, and I open my eyes to see Arnav's face very close to me. His lips are inches away from mine. I stare at his eyes, which show so many emotions, but I just can't figure out what they are. He starts to lean closer, and my eyes automatically close, but we are interrupted by a knock on the window.

He immediately moves back, and we adjust our positions. I smile embarrassed seeing Payal smirking.

Arnav - I will pick you up tomorrow afternoon.

Payal - Arey jiju, come inside and meet buaji...

Arnav looks at me as if asking permission, to which I nod. As we are walking towards home, Payal drags me to the side and whispers, "I am sorry for ruining the moment. I was just so excited to see you that I couldn't contain myself."  I nod and put on a fake smile. What just happened? If Payal didn't come then, we could have kissed... so he does like me? Arghhh soo frustrating. I stomp on the floor unknowingly, getting stares from both Arnav and Payal, one looking confused, the other apologetic. Oops.

Buaji - ttialiyaaaa...

Soon, buaji comes rushing out and hugs me. I feel a sense of joy and happiness with the warm hug. Soon she lets go of me and hugs Arnav who awkwardly hugs her back.

Arnav - Namaste..

Buaji - Namaste.. arey bitwa, come inside.

Buaji takes us both inside and then asks Payal to get some lunch from the store.

Arnav - Arey buaji, no no I am fine. I have to go anyway, I just came to meet you because Khushi has told me so many great things about you and I wanted to meet the lady that made her childhood this great.

Buaji - Arey titaliya, I didn't know that you loved me so much. If titaliya has told you about me, then you should also know I never let anyone leave my home on an empty stomach.

Arnav smiles and looks at me with the expression, "You weren't wrong."

Soon buaji starts sharing all my childhood stories with Arnav, which he didn't know and I look away trying to hide my embarrassment. The stories are thankfully interrupted by a call from Aman.

Arnav - Sorry buaji, I have to go... but be ready tomorrow afternoon, all of us are going to dinner.

Arnav takes blessings of buaji and gives me a warm hug, while also whispering take care before he leaves.

Buaji - Acha titaliya, godiyan, I am going to rest. You girls gossip and spend some time together.

Both of us nod, and Payal immediately rushes towards me, her face beaming with joy. Khushi, tell me what magic you have done to jiju or what magic jiju has done to you. Even after a year, your face turns red when he comes closer... How are you guys so in love? You know, Akash didn't even have time to drop me off at Buaji's home.

I unwillingly smile, love and us? I mean I do love him but I don't even know if he feels the same. How does everyone else see this love but me?