Chapter 18

Soon Kiara or should I say mum runs to me and just starts crying. That was definitely not the expectation I had. I try to get out of the hug, but she just keeps holding me and crying. What is happening? Soon, papa comes towards me and joins the hug. Both eyes have water. Seeing the love, I also start to cry, that is until Arnav breaks us apart and stares at my parents.

Arnav - Please don't touch my wife until you explain to us why you abandoned her.

Both Mum and Dad move away and Mum looks at Dad with an angry expression before she tries to talk, however, she is interrupted.

Dad - No offence, but how can we trust you? Like, Khushi does look quite similar to my wife, but how do you know for sure that she is our daughter? How did you find us? We searched for our daughter for a long time, but couldn't find anyone.

Arnav stares at my father and then gets something out of his pockets. Wait, these are my baby's pictures, how does he have them? Where did he get it from? He shows the photos to my parents, and they smile with tears.

Arnav - I hired an agency to find Khushi's real parents yesterday. I believe you might know them... and they guarantee they will find out within 24 hours and well here we are. I wasn't sure either if they were right, so I may have done some background research on you with the help of my PA, Aman. He found some very old clips of the hospital, which were 'deleted.' The hospital had someone from higher-ups tell them to delete the footage of the day Khushi was born, however, they had secretly kept a copy. Thankfully, we were able to get the copy.

I stare at Arnav in shock. How does he get all this information, so quickly? I swear, if he wasn't working as a fashion designer, I would have assumed he was some detective. Arnav immediately plays the clip which shows a lady in a gown, most likely my mother running away from the ward with my father holding her. I could see tears in her eyes and I could see her looking back quite often. Soon, my grandmother comes into the room that my mum was once in and starts looking around then takes the child... Most likely me. I can't believe this. Why is my life like some kind of soap opera? Seeing all this live, in front of me. Both my parents start crying, and soon Mum musters up the courage to explain the situation.

Mum - It was all due to your father. You see, before I met him, I was having a normal life. I worked as an intern in a fashion company. Everything was going well, I was about to grab the job when your father came along. You see, your father joined the company with me and over time I kinda fell in love with him. He told me, he was an average guy as well and wanted to work in a fashion company. His dream was to become a fashion designer... and I loved that... but was I wrong

Dad (annoyed) - I did want to be a fashion designer. But that was when I was a child. I quickly realised as a teenager that my talents were somewhere else. At the age of 16, I was recruited by XYZ agency as a spy. It was a government company and I was trained for 2 years before I could join the real field. Within the two years, I enjoyed my training sessions and the pay was good. Of course, I couldn't share this with anyone, so I was studying fashion design to cover up for my real occupation. Soon, I started doing an internship with the same company as your mother and as she mentioned we fell in love. I wanted to marry her and I knew that if I kept staying with the agency... she wouldn't be safe as the people I was against were very dangerous. I somehow quit working with the agency and became a permanent employee at the fashion company. After two years, when both of us were financially stable, we got married. A year later, your mother became pregnant and we were thrilled. A few days before you were born, I got a call from the agency that my enemies were tracking me and I had to be very careful...They could harm us. They couldn't offer protection, cause my working at the agency was top secret and by offering protection, they could put the secret at risk. I took every precaution to make sure both you and your mother were safe. However, on the day you were born... they found us. I told your mother about my past and we decided to run... she wanted to grab you and run but I knew if we took you along with us while we were being chased... you wouldn't be safe. Your mother cried and, but for your safety eventually she finally agreed to leave you. They didn't see your face, only knew that Kirti was pregnant. We ran out of the hospital, and after 2 hours, when we saw that no one was chasing us we ran back to the hospital. We ran to your bed but saw a still baby there and immediately found out someone switched our baby as that child was not ours. We checked everywhere and asked nurses, but no one knew. I went to get security footage, however, they had it deleted, apparently they had special orders from higher-ups. I tried checking the security footage from outside the hospital, but none of them showed the face of the baby. We tried to advertise about you, but we had no photo of you and never had proof that we had a kid. We searched and searched... but to no luck. I am sorry Khushi...

I start to cry immediately. What is happening? One part of me wished this wasn't real... this feels too much. Even though I was left for my safety, I was abandoned. If they had searched hard enough, they would have found me... just like Arnav found them. Soon, Arnav holds my hands softly and uses the tissues next to us to wipe my tears, but to no use because they are non-stop. Without saying anything, he side-hugs me, making more of my tears flow.

Arnav - Cry all you want Khushi, I will be here to lend you my shoulder.

Mum (crying) - Look beta, I know this is overwhelming for you and we know that all this information is frying your brain. Look beta, I never once in my heart wanted to abandon you... I know this doesn't prove anything to you or make you less like a burden but beta you aren't. The moment I saw you, the moment I had fallen for you. You were an angel to me... and still is. We are sorry for everything that happened. Trust me, I do love you...

Dad - Yes beta, we prayed that you were alive. There wasn't one day after your birth that we didn't think about you. Seeing you, in front of us... alive just makes our days. It was never my intention to abandon you... I know as your mother says we love you... I decided at the moment it was best for your safety but if I had known that this decision would lead to me losing you then I would have risked my life to make sure you were with us..

I stop crying and stare at my parents. Parents? Do I even feel comfortable calling them that? I let go of the hug and stare at them.

Me - I appreciate the honesty and I understand you never wanted to abandon me but it did feel to me like that. I appreciate your love and I want to love you back... I want to call you my parents but... I need time and space... I will come around if you provide me with it.

They nod and I move from the sofa and walk out of the home holding Arnav's soft hand. I just need to comprehend this and clear my mind.