Chapter 22

As we release from our emotional hug, I gaze at him with a smile, though he might not be aware of the depth of his feelings for me. No doubt, he likes me too. But enough of those thoughts, Khushi. Your adopted dad killed Arnav's girlfriend and your best friend. Shouldn't you do something about that?

Me - Have you contacted the police?

Arnav (upset) - The evidence isn't sufficient. Although I finally got some small proof from the detective agency after a year, it wasn't good enough. Shashi closed down Maya's case earlier using his power, and even though I am more powerful than him, he could still do the same. I think... if he confesses, then. ...

How can we get him to confess? He won't admit anything to me, especially now that I've severed ties with him. Obviously, Arnav would also be disqualified... Our thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the door. I stare at Arnav, seeking his permission to open it, which he reluctantly gives... To my shock, it was my adoptive mother on the other side. She started living with my parents after moving out of the Gupta mansion. Although initially guilty, she began helping around the home. Soon, surprisingly, she sold her shares in adoptive papa's company and started her own business, which is currently doing extremely well. Her life took a 360-degree turn, from not caring about me to preparing warm homemade meals for me whenever I came. From buying me branded clothes to show the world how great she is, to taking my considerations in mind and buying me clothes I prefer no matter what brand. Although her little efforts are making me feel loved, I am still not able to forgive her for what happened before, but I did mention I can try. I can forgive her but it can't be forgotten, no matter how much I try. I even told this to my real parents, although they are also pampering me, and caring for me... how can I forget I was abandoned? However, their intentions were purer than Garima mumma. My thoughts are interrupted by a worried Garima mumma.

Garima mumma - I am so sorry. I heard your conversation, and I know you still don't trust me, beta, but I want to help

I stare at her with a worried look. While I don't fully trust her, if she goes back to him, it will be chaos, and he will ruin her life. I'm about to protest when Arnav gives her a nod, and she leaves the room, giving us some privacy.

Arnav - Before you get mad, listen..." (he takes a deep breath) "I know you are worried that something bad will happen to her, but she is the only one we can trust and lean on for help. Look, Khushi, I have tried lots of ways to get proof, and it was unsuccessful. He is smarter than we think. She is the only one we can rely on right now, as she is the only one who knows him like the back of her hand. The only one to guide us to a solution. Let's trust her.

Reluctantly, I agree, and we both head out to discuss the plan with her. I try not to dwell on the mini-confession that just occurred, though Arnav seems completely unaware that he just confessed to me. Is he still not over Maya? Am I just a rebound? No, he did say he was comfortable with me. What if he was saying that just to butter me up? My thoughts are again interrupted by my family shaking me and asking me to pay attention.

That Night

A very exhausted Shashi arrives home at his expansive and opulent mansion. Still not accustomed to the absence of his wife and daughter greeting him, he sinks into his sofa and instructs one of the staff to bring him water while turning on the news.

"SHASHI GUPTA'S BUSINESS GOING UNDERWATER. ONLY A MIRACLE CAN SAVE THIS BUSINESS"

Staring at the news with rage, he smashes the TV with the remote.

Shashi's POV

A miracle? Who believes in that? This is all due to Khushi and Garima. If Garima didn't stop attending those dumb kitty parties, then at least some of my client's wives would force their husbands to invest in my business. Instead, she is too busy talking about her dumb business. Sooner or later, she will crawl back to me. This KHUSHI!! She has been the mistake of my life. Having her cost me my perfect life. I thought Arnav would...