Chapter 19

AFTER 1 YEAR

It's been a year since a major discovery in my life - that I'm adopted, and that one of my real parents was a spy. This has brought about significant changes. Loneliness has transformed into a sense of being cherished, and feelings of worthlessness have become a sense of value. Even though my husband, who initially disliked me and regretted our marriage, gave me the name Raizada, I've come to embrace that name. It might sound strange, but I believe I've developed feelings for Arnie.

I can't really put my finger on how or when my dislike faded away. Out of the blue, I got a call from none other than the devil. I picked up, and before I could even say hello, I was hit with a rapid-fire round of questions.

On Call

Arnav (annoyed) - Khushi, where have you been? I have been calling you for more than an hour now... you know how worried I was... Why aren't you answering dammit? Where are you? Are you home?

Before he could keep going. I decided to fake coughing to grab his attention, however, he started asking questions about my health without taking a single breath. What am I going to do with this guy?

Hearing no words, he finally stopped which allowed me to answer all his questions.

Me - I am fine Arnav, I was busy writing in my diary and my phone was elsewhere, so didn't realise that you called. How is work?

Arnav - Work is amazing, I have decided to take half a day so we can watch that horror movie you wanted to watch. I am 5 minutes away, so be prepared.

End Call

I hung up the call and hurriedly prepared our bedroom for the movie. I'd been persuading Arnav to watch an xyz horror movie with me for ages, and he finally found the time. I've longed to see the movie for quite a while, but being the easily scared person I am, I never dared to watch it alone. Having no one to shield me, you see. However, with Arnav right next to me, I feel a sense of safety and protection that allows me to brave it.

I got the movie ready on the screen and pulled the blankets close. Today, the house was empty; Mom and Dad had gone on a romantic getaway. Seeing their loving relationship, I couldn't help but wish for something similar when I was older. Will Arnav and I still have this kind of romance? Lost in my thoughts, I was interrupted as Arnav walked into the room. He looked weary, dark circles under his eyes indicating a lack of sleep. He must have stayed up late. But before I could voice my concern, he read my mind.

Arnav: I'm aware I look tired, but trust me, I'm alright. I'll catch a quick nap after the movie. I promised I'd watch it with you, and I'm sticking to it. I know how much you wanted to watch this together, and I've been looking forward to it too. I'll change it real quick. If you want, you can grab the popcorn.

I nodded and hurried out to make the popcorn. In no time, we were all set for the movie. Stretching out comfortably, we had 2 pillows between us for extra protection. It's interesting that even though Arnav and I have been married for a year, we've never really shared a bed, and if we did, it would still involve these protective pillows. I can't help but wish for a chance to break down that barrier.

The movie began, and from the corner of my eye, I noticed Arnav's grip on the pillow, his fear quite evident. It was almost amusing, as this was the kind of reaction I'd anticipated from myself, yet here he was, clutching the pillow tightly. As the movie progressed, Arnav's hold on the pillow seemed to wane, and instead, his hand found its way into mine. In a way, our protective pillow barriers vanished, bringing us closer.

Throughout the movie, the space between us seemed to diminish, and I could sense his breath against my neck. His arm found its place around my waist, while his other hand intertwined with mine, and his legs gently rested atop mine. Becoming aware of our position, I attempted to shift away, but his grasp tightened, holding me close during the jump scares, while I instinctively moved closer to him during the tense moments. As the movie concluded, I turned to face him and only then did I fully grasp how intimately close we were. Surprisingly, instead of feeling uneasy, I relished the nearness.

Eventually, I contemplated getting up, yet his hold on me kept me anchored to the bed. Turning towards him, ready to ask a question, I realised he had drifted into slumber. As I tried once more to disentangle myself, I noticed his serene expression had shifted into a subtle frown. Not wanting to wake him up, I decided to close my eyes and rest.

After a while, I sensed the gentle but sturdy arms around my waist release, and suddenly, I felt a wave of vulnerability and slight irritation. Opening my eyes, I saw Arnav looking stressed while talking to someone.

Arnav: I'm on my way to your place right now. I don't want to hear the whole Maya story over the phone.

I observed as Arnav hurriedly left the room, still wearing the same clothes, his worry and stress evident. I felt for him, but I've been patient for quite some time now. I'm eager to know what's going on with Maya, and waiting any longer is becoming challenging. I'm sorry, Arnav. It's just that my patience is wearing thin. What are you keeping from me? Today, I will find out.

Falling For Herजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें