Chapter 45

The selection site for the preliminary round of the Patrol Squad was located within the campus's virtual training ground. Although the freshmen passed by this massive structure every day, they had never set foot inside. It was only a month into the school term, and their accumulated military merits were far from sufficient. However, due to this test, they would be the first among their peers to use this renowned "landmark facility" known far and wide.

As they were led to the foot of the building, everyone looked up in awe at the imposing virtual training ground. A massive black cylinder stood firmly rooted in the earth. Access to the entrance required magnetic card authentication. It seemed the Patrol Squad had applied in advance, and after communicating with the administrator, the doors of the black cylinder swung open to both sides.

The freshmen couldn't help but swallow nervously as they entered together. Inside were several smaller cylinders with their doors wide open, revealing the empty space within. Lit by pale lights, the interior was bare, covering an area of about ten square meters. Following instructions, groups of five entered the cylinders.

As soon as the doors closed and the lights dimmed, the gentle voice of the Patrol Squad captain filled the small space. "Next, we will simulate a combat scenario. Please find a way to overcome it." "Any method is acceptable. The only rule is 'no use of pheromones.'"

Bai Yue was taken aback. His greatest weapon was pheromones, and now that it was off-limits, he had to rely on his usual training. He clenched his fists. There wouldn't be a problem.

Mu Si Han noticed Bai Yue's hesitation but only glanced before silently averting his gaze. The broadcast continued, "Additionally, although you won't die for real in the virtual scenario, please do exert caution. If more than half of the team dies, it will be considered a total knockout."

In other words, these temporary teammates in the next 15 minutes were like grasshoppers tied to the same string. Many regretted not giving it more thought earlier. "Now, the Patrol Squad selection assessment officially begins." "Good luck to all." As soon as the words ended, the already dimly lit cylinder turned pitch black, blinding everyone.

Bai Yue felt enveloped by darkness, unable to even hear the breathing of his teammates nearby. After a while, their vision gradually cleared a bit. The greenery was lush, with intertwined branches covering the sky. The ground was soft soil, and the air was filled with the scent of grass.

"Damn!" A loud voice exclaimed, "It changed so suddenly, are we outdoors now?" Besides Bai Yue, the other four teammates were also present.

Bai Yue surveyed the surroundings. It looked like an ordinary wilderness, except for a huge crystal floating behind them. 【Protect our crystal, destroy the enemy's crystal (0/3)】 The top of the crystal even displayed a line of white text, but the following numbers were unclear, possibly indicating the number of matches?

This reminded Bai Yue of a popular online game. And then... He turned back and looked ahead. The tightly packed trees formed a wall, with only three paths ahead.

This, too, was strikingly similar to that online game. The other teammates also seemed to make the connection. "This is that game, right?" "I've played it too." The bearded man: "Ah, the memories of youth." Mu Si Han: "..."

That online game was a MOBA genre online game. Bai Yue hadn't played it, but it was so popular that he had heard Li Ren talk about it often. The rules were simple: protect your crystal from being destroyed while destroying the enemy's.

The three paths ahead, from left to right, could be referred to as the top, middle, and bottom lanes. However, the enemy's situation was still unclear.

With no further hints, a beta student in a strategic command academy uniform suggested, "Let's stick to the rules for now. Two stay here to guard the crystal, and the rest take different lanes to scout ahead."