Allies formed

Y/n's sights didn't waver from the transparent exit. His mind was in a state of hypervigilance, transmitting warning cues through his body, making each muscle go taut, and inwardly bracing himself for an execrable startle that would jar his reflexes into acute fear response.

His companions observed the boy's aberrant behavior and glanced among each other, uncertain of how to interfere. Nova narrowed his eyes as his sights briefly sprung to the glass door the e/c eyed male was gazing out of, comprehension evinced through his mind.

He stood up from his seat to grasp the curtains in a firm hold, proceeding to glide the shades over the entryway to relieve the h/c haired of the mental turmoil the outlook appeared to cause him.

Nova swirled around, looking down at Y/n with a stern expression that conveyed an authoritarian tone as he folded his arms in expectation. "Okay, Seriously, What's the matter? You've been wary of your surroundings ever since we got into the car. Not to mention that your mother berated you for something occurring with Avery Emmons and those two friends of yours that resulted in her reprimanding you for being careless, which means whatever happened took a toll on you and is still actively affecting you." As Nova declaimed his exposition, Y/n diverted his eyes, establishing a defensive wall around himself to recoil from the approaching interrogation.

The boy's clear reluctance to explain his apprehensive manners left the group feeling indignant. "Why are you so distrustful of us?" Ezra asked, his voice a mere disheartened plea enfolded with an undertone of shallow desperation that seeped through the crevices of his being.

"We've been nothing but kind to you, despite the fact that you left Runswick without a single goodbye or forewarning, then you came back six years later, didn't bother informing any of us, and you repay us by acting this way?" Y/n sank deeper into his cocoon of penitence as his morals were put on a pedestal.

Each syllable penetrated his heavy heart as he became aware of the validity behind the statement, threatening to split open his soul to let desolation flow out of the cracks and spill out his repressed worries. But trepidation perched him back, knowing that if he unveiled his burdens, the grasp on the situation would be out of his control.

Shudders went down his nerves as the male wondered whether blatant disregard for the warnings he had received would be met with consequences. The ambience around started turning dense, swallowing up the silence in an empty void to wilt in the space.

"Just joking," Ezra's voice broke through the stillness with a jesting tone. Y/n's expression turned into an empty stare as his mind could not grasp the proposition that the detrimental words were meant to be interpreted as comical. Nonetheless, the corners of the boy's mouth ticked up into a tense smile as nervous giggles erupted from his chest to relieve the stress broiling in him. The h/c haired boy buried his face in the palm of his wounded hand as his body trembled and anxiety oozed from his pores.

For a moment, it was silent, with only the h/c haired chuckles to accommodate the environment. The quartet stared at the male with amused looks, anticipating for him to regain his composure. Soon, Y/n's laughter died down, his lungs struggled to let out exhalation, making his breath quaver with echos of chuckles. "Your humor is worse than Roy's and Nova's antics," he sounded out in a mix of stupefaction and earnestness.

Ezra let out a scoff that indicated his disapproval over the subconscious label the comment gave him. "Don't compare me to those two idiots. " Roy gave the ash blond a look of incredulous offense, straightening up his lounged posture to retort the phrase "You don't have to be so harsh, we're right here, you know..." his voice an annoyed utter, Ezra glanced at the deject display with a detached expression that emanated his absent pity toward the prankster.