Being an Asshole Gets You Killed

Elena Romano

I felt numb everywhere. I don't know if it was because of the shock or because I was too focused on the sounds around me than the objects. All I heard were screams and multiple guns being fired. Gabriella and Estelle were next to me, hiding under the table. I saw Estelle get a gun from her jeans and she nodded at Gabriella who was already holding a gun. How did she get a gun already? Everything was happening so quick. Too quick. I need to focus. Focus, focus, focus.

"Elena. Focus.", Gabriella gripped my shoulder, "Stay here, until we tell you it's safe.". I nodded, "Okay. Understand.". Gabriella and Estelle exchanged quick glances and got up from the table. Joining the shootings. I saw Estelle, shooting at someone from outside the diner and Gabriella was crouched down shooting at the opposite side of Estelle. Both of them were protecting each other's backs and I was hiding here. Like a coward. I felt completely useless. 

I now started seeing the attackers running towards my friends. They were dressed in suits and had some kind of protection on them. They were shooting at the girls. Estelle barely dodged the attacks and she disarmed a few of them with her hands and legs, while Gabriella used stuff  around her to disarm them. She threw plates at them and while they were dodging the things thrown at them, she shot many in the face, while the others were knocked unconscious. Estelle grabbed a man's arm and threw him on the table I was hiding under. 

"Sorry, sweetheart.", she says, as she grabs the guy away from the table. Three of them circled around her and she was backed up into a corner, before I could process what was happening. Estelle stood still, waiting for them to attack first. The man on her right, threw a punch that she easily dodged. She didn't waste a moment and she grabbed the guy's wrist and used his own momentum against him. He got slammed into the wall behind her and groaned from the pain. 

Estelle ignored that and quickly turned back to the other two men. "Stop this bloodbath!", yelled a voice above the whole chaos. Everyone froze. I couldn't see anyone, but I saw Estelle's and Gabriella's faces, full of fear and anger. If they were scared, we were totally fucked. "I told you to get the girl. Not waste bullets, dammit.", the man said again. Gabriella glanced at me and slightly shook her head. "Listen here.", the man began talking again, "I know you're hiding somewhere around here, so why don't you come on out?". 

I took a quiet breath and slowly exhaled. No. Gabriella told me to stay here. So I would stay here. After a few moments of silence, I heard someone walk around. The footsteps grew closer, until they were right next to me. "Well, if you don't come out, Elena. I'll have to shoot on of your babysitters.". I think he raised the gun at Estelle, because her face paled a few shades. But she didn't say anything, didn't do anything. She was as still as a statue. A bullet flew right past her, but she didn't flinch. Instead, she kept glaring daggers at him. "Time's ticking.", he laughed. 

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit. What was I supposed to do? Maybe he was bluffing? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I looked around for anything around me that would be helpful. I froze when I saw Estelle's purse. There had to be something useful. "I'll start counting from ten.", he warned again. I reached for her purse and started digging through it, as quietly as I could. "Nine.", he taunted me.

I stifled a gasp when I saw a taser and a pocket knife in her bag's pockets. "Eight.", he continued. I grabbed both and pocketed the dagger next to my foot in my sneaker. Where the hell would I put the taser? "Seven.". I took a deep breath and shoved the taser in my bra. I touched up my shirt, so that it didn't have a huge bump showing where exactly was the laser located at. "Six.". Okay. Take a deep breath.

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. "Five.".

I climbed out from under the table. I tried to hide the shakiness in my hands by fisting them, but it didn't help at all. "Ahh, there she is.", he clapped mockingly. He had a slender frame, with lean muscles and sharp features. His brown eyes are piercing and alert, always scanning the surroundings for anything out of place. Right now, he was looking me up and down and I felt goosebumps arise. But it was nothing like when Mr. Morales did that. No. These were from fear.