Chapter 9: Understanding the Gith and the Ghaik

3rd person POV

The Team and Vlaakith were in the bioship, souring through the night sky, on their way to Area 51 after receiving a call from Batman to accompany him to the government facility.

The group were thankful that they were requested to follow the Dark Knight after spending an ungodly amount of hours explaining everything about earth to Vlaakith, videos, music, movies and documentaries yet none seemed to have remained inside the Gith's head except for those that involved action scenes and, oddly enough, tear jerking moments despite no tears being shed... or any emotion for that matter.

M'gann came with the team despite her injury not yet fully healed and Superboy's pleading, but she was adamant to join and see the nautiloid for herself. Unbeknownst to her, however, there was another being watching through her one good eye... stalking... and waiting...

Vlaakith had his eyes shut the whole time. Some members assumed he was napping due to his calm breathing and still form. Their assumptions were proven wrong, and he asked a question to the now one-eyed martian.

Vlaakith: "You say that you remember nothing after heading into an alley, yes?"

M'gann was surprised by his sudden question. Ever since they were told to accompany Batman to Area 51, he hasn't said a word since getting in the bioship.

Miss Martian: "Unfortunately, yes, I do not recall how my eye was damaged, no matter how hard I try to remember."

Vlaakith: "Hmm..."

Aqualad: "We've already been informed that Miss Martian had been attacked and are on the lookout for the purple-gray alien. Speaking of Vlaakith, do you know anything about the one you call ghaik?"

The Team all turned their heads towards, with curiosity, Vlaakith mentally groaned at the realisation of having to explain what they were and relive his moments in captivity.

Vlaakith: "The ghaik are the ones who infected me with the worm in my skull and -"

Kid Flash: "Wait, ghaik is a group and not a single guy?!"

Kid Flash absently shouted, which greatly angered the Gith.

Vlaakith: "If you listened and not interrupt like the idiotic ishtik you are, then I would have explained that it wasn't a single person!"

Despite Vlaakith not yelling his words at a greater volume, everyone on board could feel the anger that oozed off the alien. M'gann also felt a hint of fear inside Vlaakith's mind. He portrays great anger towards the ones who infected him but seems afraid to actually confront them.

Vlaakith calmed himself and picked up where he was interrupted.

Vlaakith: "The ghaik, or mind flayers in your tongue, are not a group but a race of beings that utilise their psionic power to dominate and control the minds of those inferior to them, and when it comes to this world, you are all inferior."

Aqualad: "You mentioned you're people rebelled... were you slaves to the mind flayers?

Vlaakith: "My race were nothing but test subjects and slaves, forced to build their colonies and kidnap those they deemed useful for ceremorphosis. We rebelled after centuries of enslavement because of my mother, she possessed a unique power to resist the illithids control and break free from their chains - without her, my people would still be enslaved and the illithid empire would still stand."

Robin: "Ceremorphosis?"

Vlaakith: "Ceremorphosis regards the painful and tormenting process of becoming a mind flayer, like me, you must be infected with an illithid tadpole and within a few days you will undergo a full transformation into a ghaik, abandoning all form of your old self and characteristics to become a soulless being that feeds on the brains of others."