Chapter 6

I wake up with a gnawing feeling in my gut, a lingering sense that maybe I'd been a bit too quick to dismiss Ben's idea about nocturnal dialysis. It's not an easy realization to swallow, especially considering my tendency to cling stubbornly to my own opinions. But as I shuffle around my apartment, grappling with the remnants of yesterday's argument, I can't shake the nagging feeling that I owe him an apology.

So, with a resigned sigh and a hoodie thrown over my pajamas, I find myself standing awkwardly on Ben's porch, my knuckles rapping against the door in a hesitant rhythm. There's a rustling from inside, and a few moments later, Ben appears, his expression a mix of confusion and curiosity.

"Hey," I begin, offering a sheepish smile as he opens the door wider. "Sorry to barge in like this. I know it's late, and we're both probably beat from work."

Ben's eyebrows raise in mild surprise, but he steps aside to let me in without a word of protest. As I enter his home, I can't help but marvel at the stark contrast between his space and mine. Where my apartment is a mishmash of hand-me-down furniture and mismatched decor, his exudes an air of sophistication and style.

"Are you okay?" Ben's voice breaks through my thoughts, drawing me back to the present.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," I reply, sinking into the plush cushions of his velvet sofa. "I just... I've been thinking about last night, and I realize I may have been a bit hasty in shooting down your idea about nocturnal dialysis. It actually makes a lot of sense, especially if it's what the patients want."

A flicker of surprise flashes across Ben's face before he nods in understanding. "I appreciate that," he says, making his way over to the kitchen. "But I have to admit, I liked your idea too. It's a tough call."

I accept the drink he offers me with a grateful nod, taking a small sip as we settle into a comfortable silence. And as the weight of yesterday's tension begins to lift, I can't help but feel a sense of relief wash over me. Hope for what? I'm not too sure yet.

"Okay," Ben begins as he takes the seat next to me. "Why don't we start over?"

"What do you have in mind?" I turn to face him on the sofa, bringing my leg up to my chest, as I take small sips of my drink.

"A game? Let's get to know each other, 21 questions?" He suggests.

"Alright, you're on," I reply with a grin, settling back into the plush cushions of his sofa. "Hit me with your best shot, Ben."

Ben chuckles, a playful glint in his eyes. "Alright, let's start easy. What's your favorite movie?"

I raise an eyebrow, considering his question. "Hmm, tough one. I'd have to say 'The Shawshank Redemption.' Classic. Yours?"

"Good choice, mine has to be 'The Godfather'," Ben nods, tapping his chin thoughtfully. "Okay, next question. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?"

I lean forward, contemplating his question. "Teleportation, no doubt. Think of all the time you'd save on commuting."

Ben laughs, shaking his head. "Practical choice. Alright, your turn.

I sit back, taking a sip whilst contemplating my next question, "What's the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you at work?"

He pauses, recalling the memory with a wince. "Oh, easy. The time I accidentally walked into a patient's room while him and his wife were, you know, uhm, doing it. Awkward doesn't even begin to cover it."

I let out a laugh, clearly enjoying myself. "Classic. Alright, your turn again.

"If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?"