chapter 22

POV: 3rd person
Amy helped Sonic settled. Bringing a cool pad meant to cover the bed mattress. And a thin blanket they shortly put in the freezer to keep it cold. The blue hedgehog tossed away all the blankets he had gathered in the week of not being in heat, to have some sort of nest where he could burrow. Those were all too warm now.

"Will you be okay?" Amy asked as she placed a tall glass of water on the nightstand.

"Yeah, just suffering." Sonic grumbled and burrowed under the thin blanket, hiding. He didn't like that he didn't get to talk things out with Shadow. Not that he thought that he would get an answer out of the ebony hedgehog.

Rouge and Knuckles watched from the doorway. Knuckles had made it to the hero's house and was definitely fed up with Shadow. But he couldn't give him another fist in his face because he had already left.

Amy gave Sonic a pat on his head, telling him it would be okay, before she got up and left the room. She wanted to close the door but Sonic stopped her by speaking up. "Can Knuckles stay?" He asked quietly. "I want to have a small talk."

Amy pushed the door open and let Knuckles pass. Sonic moved over a little so the echidna could take a seat next to him. Amy looked at the two before closing the door.

"What's up?"

Sonic opened his mouth but didn't know what to say without it sounding strange. "You don't want to do things to me, right? My heat isn't causing you anything?" He wanted to know if it was just Shadow, or Knuckles too.

That question really threw Knuckles off. "Well...- uh." He stumbled over his words. "No." He tried to sound firm but it sounded more unsure. Because he felt pulled by Sonic's scent, especially now that he was so close. That scent of a refreshing breeze with flower petals, and yet there was a hint of chili.

The omega sat up. Heat was messing with his mind. He needed an alpha, for touch, for mating. There was an alpha right in front of him. "Then you have good self control." Sonic let out a chuckle. His thoughts went back to Shadow having him pinned against the wall, feeling his fangs against his neck. The omega shuddered.

Knuckles blinked. Did that imply something? "Did Shadow do something to you?" He asked, suddenly sounding stern. He demanded to know.

"No." Sonic lied. He could since Knuckles didn't use his alpha voice. "Just checking if I wasn't affecting you." The omega lay down again and burrowed. "That's all."

The guardian slowly nodded but got an uneasy feeling. As if he knew Sonic lied to him. "Take it easy. And don't do anything stupid." Knuckles stood and left the room.

Sonic burrowed by himself, getting comfortable on the cool pad. Yet suddenly, he felt alone. His body tensed, feeling vulnerable and needy. "Stupid omega instincts." The blue hedgehog grumbled. He didn't need an alpha. Not for protection, or for mating.

———————————————

"So, what did Sonic want to talk about?" Rouge was grinning as Knuckles came downstairs.

"If his heat was affecting me." Knuckles replied. "With how he said it, it did concern me. I got the feeling something happened between him and Shadow."

Amy furrowed his eyebrows. "Maybe. Shadow did go into rut."

"I don't trust Shadow at all." The red furred alpha crossed his arms. "He's been off ever since this whole omegaverse thing."

"I think Shadow doesn't have as much self control." Rouge spoke up. "He seems to be affected more by our omega friend than us two." Knuckles nodded to that, agreeing.

"I think it's better if you keep a closer eye on him." Amy told the female alpha.

"That would be the best." Rouge nodded. "You take care of Sonic. I will look after Shadow."