chapter 19

POV: 3rd person
This wasn't good. Whatever was happening, it couldn't be of any good. Sonic couldn't hold himself up. His legs ached. His lower back hurt. He felt nauseous. Heat wasn't causing it. Or so he thought. He wasn't burning hot, he was barely feeling warm.

"A...Alpha..." A low whine escaped his lips. His omega instinct knew something was wrong and called out to an alpha for help.

"He has been in the restroom for a while now. Something isn't right." Knuckles said. He felt pulled to check up on the blue hedgehog. Shadow couldn't deny that he felt it too. The group was patiently waiting for Sonic to come back, it was his turn to throw again after Rouge and Shadow had done their turns. "I will check on him." Knuckles stood and went to the restroom.

Sonic's ear twitched as the door opened. He tried to stand, to look like everything was okay. "Sonic-!" Knuckles caught him as the omega collapsed again. "What is wrong? Is it heat?" The alpha asked and supported the blue hedgehog in standing up.

The blue hero shook his head. He didn't think so. "...Alpha." Sonic whined again and fell against the echidna.

Knuckles tensed up at the call. He scooped Sonic up in his arms. "We need to get you home. Or to the hospital even-"

"N-No... I'm fine." Sonic was obviously lying. He shut his eyes and held his head. This nausea might get him to throw up.

"You need a hospital." The guardian carried him out of the bathroom. Bystanders looked over, of course. People can't mind their own business. Especially when it comes to celebrities.

Sonic panted, keeping his eyes shut tightly. Knuckles looked down at him when he felt the blue hedgehog clench his fist, holding onto his furred chest. The alpha frowned. Was this heat? He couldn't smell Sonic like before. He even slowly put his muzzle in the omega's neck to check his scent as he walked back to the group. It wasn't heat. Knuckles could barely smell him.

"Sonic!" Amy gasped and stood abruptly. "I thought you were on suppressants-?" She caused a commotion which got more people to look over.

"...It's not... heat..." Sonic managed to speak.

"Shadow," Knuckles spoke to the ebony hedgehog which caused Shadow's ear to flicker as he turned to look at him. "You have a chaos emerald on you, right? Can you use chaos control to get him to the hospital?"

"And why do I think I care?" Shadow tsked and crossed his arms. "He can suffer more for all I care."

The echidna's eye twitched in anger. He couldn't stand Shadow at times. Sonic would sacrifice himself for the ebony hedgehog. Yet Shadow wouldn't care if the blue hedgehog would drop dead. "You self-centered piece of crap!" He raised his fist and punched Shadow. The ebony hedgehog fell to his knees due to the powerful punch, only to bare his fangs and tackle Knuckles. The echidna fell back but caught Sonic who got taken down with him.

Knuckles snarled at Shadow and managed to get him by the throat, while his other hand snatched the chaos emerald from between his quills. "Chaos Control!" In a flash, the three were gone.

"Ugh, why do boys have to be boys?" Rouge groaned in annoyance and pinched the bridge of her nose.

———————————————

The echidna and two hedgehogs ended up at the hospital, a familiar place for the blue hero who got injuries every now and then.

"You arrogant-!" Shadow growled, standing up to pick a fight with the guardian for stealing the emerald. Yet as soon as he spoke, Knuckles tossed the emerald back to him.

"I don't care about your rock." Knuckles hissed at him, and held his hand out to Sonic. He helped the blue hedgehog stand. "But I do care for my friend."

The red furred alpha turned his back to the ultimate lifeform and asked for help. The receptionist checked which doctor was available before leading the way. Heroes were a priority to be treated.

Sonic couldn't find his footing yet, so Knuckles carried him as he walked behind the receptionist. Shadow narrowed his eyes at the echidna. Something inside him did not like seeing him with the omega. "Stupid alpha instinct." Shadow grumbled, blaming it on their different ranks, and followed behind the two. He didn't care for Sonic, yet he couldn't leave him either.