Chapter 32: Reunion

Elaine observed the interaction between the mysterious woman and Tom, feeling a surge of curiosity mixed with a touch of apprehension. The woman's commanding presence was unmistakable as she addressed Tom with confidence.

"Tom, give us a minute please," the woman instructed firmly.

Tom's response was dismissive. "She's sleeping," he retorted, as if the woman was being daft.

"I can see that," the woman replied coolly. "Please give us a minute. You can continue your watchdog duties outside the door."

Elaine noted the subtle tension between them as Tom reluctantly left the room. Once they were alone, the woman fixed her gaze on Elaine, her eyes piercing and unwavering.

"Would you like to wake up, or shall we continue like this?" She mused.

Elaine considered the woman's question for a moment, her curiosity outweighing her confusion. 

She slipped back into full consciousness, sitting up in her bed with a sense of anticipation. Despite her confusion, Elaine couldn't shake the feeling of being caught off guard, like a child caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

The woman's words only added to Elaine's intrigue. "It's impressive how easily you slip in and out," she remarked, a smile playing on her lips. "It took me years to master that one. But I assume being a hybrid does give you a leg up over the rest of us."

"A hybrid? I have no idea what you're talking about," Elaine stated, her voice tinged with disbelief.

The woman continued, unfazed by Elaine's reaction. "Your father, David, had strong blue fire, and your mother, Catherine, was impressive with her green fire. They conceived you, a hybrid with exceptional abilities," she explained, breaking it down as if speaking to a child.

Elaine's mind raced as she processed the revelation. The implications of being a hybrid, with the combined powers of both blue and green fire, left her momentarily speechless, her thoughts swirling with newfound understanding and questions.

"That doesn't mean anything, does it?" Elaine questioned, feeling a sense of uncertainty creeping in. "I mean, we all have our different abilities regardless of the color of our fire," she added, recalling Philip's earlier words to her.

"Yes and no," the woman replied, her tone measured as she took a seat by Elaine's bed, assuming a regal posture. "You see, child, those with Blue Fire were always the warriors of our people, their fire burning and consuming everything around them. Conversely, those with Green Fire were the healers, their abilities rooted in the power of the mind. And those with Red Fire were the creators of technology; if they could imagine it, they could build it. We all have our variations within these guidelines. Yet, hybrids such as yourself are unbound by these distinctions and possess unique abilities such as dream-walking. You, especially, with such strong parents," she explained.

Elaine listened intently, absorbing the information with a mix of apprehension and fascination. 

"So you're a hybrid then?" Elaine deduced, her mind racing with questions.

"Yes," the woman responded with a smile. "My father had Green Fire, and my mother had Red Fire."

"How do you know who my parents are?" Elaine inquired, her mind as sharp as ever.

"Your mother came to me for help when she was pregnant with you. I'm a scientist, much like yourself, and being a hybrid, she felt she could trust me with your secret," the woman explained. "She knew that they would want to study you if they realized that David was your father and yet your energy was green."

Elaine's expression shifted to one of confusion, prompting the woman to continue. "David was one of the strongest enforcers for the council; he could trace his lineage back for centuries. For you to manifest Green Fire instead of Blue Fire, it would be apparent that your mother, too, was exceptionally strong. Hence, they would want to replicate that. Imagine an army of people who are both great fighters and healers—they would be indestructible."