Chapter 30: The Rescue

Elaine awoke with a splitting migraine, the pain pulsating through her skull. It felt as though no time had passed at all. One moment, she was in the lab, enduring the probing of a robotic arm while Rutherford observed with a smug expression, and the next moment, she found herself here.

She sat up slowly, wary of exacerbating her migraine. Glancing around, she realized she was back in her cell, prompting a sigh of relief. That wasn't too bad. She also no longer felt the heaviness of the metal collar around her neck. Tentatively, she reached up and confirmed its absence. Happiness welled up inside her; the collar had suppressed her powers, but now she could reach out to Philip. Yet, something felt off. As she examined her neck, she noticed her fingers didn't brush against her long brown tresses. Feeling her scalp, she realized she had gotten a chopped-up hairdo.

What was going on, she thought to herself. Her scalp felt tender, and the closer her fingers got to the base of her neck, the more tender it became. Suddenly, her fingers brushed against something metallic. There was a circular metallic object protruding from her head at the spot where her skull and neck connected. A surge of pain erupted in her head, intensifying to the point where she couldn't suppress a gut-wrenching retch, emptying the bile from her stomach. As she lay back down, she tried to focus on anything else, but the pain was relentless, escalating with every passing second. Tears streamed down the sides of her face, and she found herself wishing for a swift death.

An older lady scanned her wrist and was let into her cell. Her eyes were soft and gentle as she peered down at Elaine with a look of compassion.

"Here, this will ease the pain a little," she said, taking Elaine's arm in her hands and administering a syringe into her IV line. Elaine felt a chill where the needle pierced her skin, but soon the sharp pain in her head subsided to a dull throb. Pulling herself up to a sitting position, she regarded the woman cautiously, unsure if she was friend or foe. The nurse offered a sympathetic smile and placed a tray of food in her lap.

"Eat, it will help you," the nurse advised before turning and leaving Elaine to her aching head and solitude.

Elaine didn't need to be told twice; she was famished. She scarfed the food down in seconds and then lay back down. Concentrating on Phillip, she followed the familiar path in her mind to reach the one man who could save her.

She dreamt of the familiar Houston rooftop. "Philip!" she called out desperately, but no answer came. She looked around, and the once magical night lights now seemed ominous, while the black sky was streaked with red clouds. A shiver ran up her spine as she scanned the surroundings. In the distance, she noticed a large figure approaching. At first, she mistook it for a bird, but as it drew nearer, she realized it was a man. Hope began to stir in the pit of her stomach as he approached. She strained her eyes to see more clearly in the dark until she could finally make out his features.

It was Rutherford! She ran as he headed straight for her until she reached the very edge of the building. He made a graceful landing and walked towards her with a predatory smile on his face. She found herself backed against the small ledge with nowhere to go. He outstretched his arms, ready to strangle her. She tried desperately to summon her energy field, put up a shield, or muster up anything, but nothing happened. He started laughing maniacally as his bony hands closed around her neck. His grip tightened, and she felt herself weakening, unable to fight him off.

As she struggled against his iron grip, instinct kicked in, and she brought her legs up, kicking as hard as she could. He was propelled backward, and so was she. She felt the rush of air as her body went over the short wall behind her. Panic surged through her as she hurtled towards the ground. 'I can fly, I can fly, fly, fly, fly,' she repeated in her mind as the ground rushed up to meet her. With her hands shielding her face, she prepared herself for the impact, ready to accept her fate.