Chapter 21: The Council

Phillip sat in the back seat of a large black SUV with Daniel smooshed in the middle next to him and another large man. The woman in charge was driving, with another enforcer sitting next to her. As soon as the woman began driving, Phillip's face turned pale. The sensation of being in motion was entirely foreign to him, and a wave of apprehension washed over him. He struggled to settle his stomach back down, taking longer than he cared to admit.

The large glass building stood in stark contrast to the white BioOrg facility, but Phillip couldn't shake the feeling that he was merely exchanging one facility for another. Upon disembarking and approaching the main door, an enforcer held it open for him. However, he found himself hesitating, unable to bring his feet to cross the threshold.

"Hey there, big guy," Daniel said, placing a reassuring hand on Phillip's shoulder, sensing his friend's distress. "After this, I'll show you my favorite pizza joint right around the corner. I'm buying this time, but next time will be on you." He leaned in closer to Phillip and whispered, "If they don't let you out, I'll storm the place with you. Nothing will get in the way of us and pizza."

For once, Phillip was thankful for the younger man's jovial nature and proceeded into the facility. As they approached the receptionist, she picked up the phone and said, "Sir, they're here." The air in the facility felt heavy with uncertainty, adding to Phillip's growing apprehension.

The building exuded a sense of spaciousness and airiness as Phillip entered. The lobby boasted a high ceiling, extending up five stories, discernible from the handrails and glass panels that graced each floor. An elliptical desk occupied by a receptionist welcomed visitors, while clusters of couches and coffee tables were scattered around. At the center of the expansive area, a marble fountain captured attention. Three men sculpted in marble carried a giant bowl, with water gracefully dripping along its rim into the basin beneath. The men's eyes were adorned with different jewels, catching and reflecting the light—blue sapphires, red rubies, and green emeralds. The spectacle was mesmerizing.

An older man, akin to Rutherford's age, appeared from a door at the end of the rotunda. Behind him trailed six or seven other men, all impeccably dressed in sharp suits.

"You must be Phillip!" the chief councilman boomed, still at a distance, his arms outstretched as if ready for a hug. Closing the gap between them, he extended his hand for Phillip to shake. "I am the Chief Councilman here, Councilman Roberts, and these are my fellow councilmen." The grandeur of the lobby and the imposing presence of the councilmen heightened Phillip's sense of being scrutinized and assessed.

Phillip hesitated as he shook the man's hand, sensing the formidable power emanating from the older figure.

"I am," Phillip responded, aware of Daniel subtly shrinking behind him.

"We're glad to have you here with us, finally. Welcome home," Roberts said, placing an arm on Phillip's shoulder while gesturing with his other hand in a sweeping motion, showcasing the grandeur of the building. Phillip found himself at a loss for words, and a sense of reluctance settled over him regarding staying within the imposing structure for a second more than absolutely necessary.

"You're all dismissed, except for Head Enforcer Bells and you, Daniel," Roberts declared, addressing the enforcers, who promptly vanished through the doors, leaving Daniel and the woman, now identified as Head Enforcer Bells.

"Come, my boy, we need to talk," Roberts insisted, turning around and leading the way.

Phillip followed, flanked by his entourage, as they traversed the circular area and reached the door at the end. Beyond it lay a spacious room adorned with wooden walls. A stately wooden desk graced the room near the window, flanked by two expansive bookcases.