Chapter 14: Friend or Foe?

Elaine stepped back and looked at Phillip. The flames began to subside, but she couldn't control the urge to stretch out her hand and touch the remaining glow; it was simply mesmerizing.

"How are you here?" Phillip asked, appearing like he was talking into thin air. At this point, Elaine was sure that this was an odd dream she was having. She walked around to see if he could indeed see her. Phillip followed her moving form with his eyes.

"You can see me?" she asked bewildered. Sandy hadn't even realized she was there.

He shrugged his shoulders, giving her a slight nod. "More or less," he said.

This was one weird dream, Elaine thought, but she was enjoying it. It was like a dream where she could control everything and go anywhere, even leave if she wished. She looked longingly at the wall and pondered if she could simply walk through it. However, she still had her hand outstretched, held at the edge of Phillip's blue glow. It reminded her of when she was a kid and would hold her hand at the very edge of the water in the swimming pool; it would feel like she could touch the water while being encompassed in it.

Phillip held out his hand to meet hers, and she could suddenly see that the blue glow around his hand became almost ribbon-like, wrapping around her hand, dancing between her fingers. Then, with their hands held out an inch apart, she could see that there were green ribbons dancing along his hand. She peered down at herself and realized that, much like Phillip, she too had a glow about her. But hers was green. She pulled her hand back in shock, looked at Phillip, not wanting to break the connection they had, but also wanting more than anything to see if she could escape.

Elaine walked towards the back wall and tried to imitate ghosts she had seen on TV, attempting to walk through the wall. She closed her eyes and charged at the wall and made it through. She was ecstatic and began to run towards the door. She didn't get too far when she felt an imaginary lasso pull her back. She tried to fight against it and persevere, but her feet felt like they were encompassed in lead. The harder she fought against it, the more drained she felt. Suddenly, as if her leash was let out, she was able to take a few more steps forward. She looked back and saw Phillip standing at the door to the study, intently watching her. She realized she was somehow connected to him in this dream realm.

Elaine was confused. Was this really a dream? If so, why wasn't she free to roam? Also, everything that she had read in the journals and seen since she got to the facility indicated that blue fire was just that, blue. How come she was glowing like the green lantern? Did the serum they gave her come from another set of people who were not from Atlantis? She stared at Phillip, who seemed to be staring right back at her, and noticed everyone else completely oblivious to her presence.

Suddenly, something began vibrating along her wrist. She looked at her hands, but her cuffs were gone. She was dreaming after all. Then a small jolt ran through her, and before she knew it, she had a sinking feeling that overcame her. She woke abruptly on her bed. It was all just a dream; she looked down at herself and she wasn't glowing green, she ran to the mirror and looked, her eyes were still brown. All the stress must have gotten to her, she deduced. Her attention was then drawn to her cuffs which were glowing an urgent yellow.

Snaps! She dashed out of her room and ran downstairs. She most definitely did not want to get electrocuted again; it was the single most painful experience of her life. She saw Phillip still standing in the doorway to the study room, with a puzzled look. She didn't have time to dwell on the similarity between her dream and real life. She got to the medical room and halted abruptly in front of the glass door. Mr. Rutherford was standing in there with a doctor, and they were in deep discussion until she arrived. Rutherford then diverted his attention to her and motioned for her to enter. She could feel something tickle the hairs on her neck. She looked back, and Phillip was standing right behind her but was staring through her and straight at Rutherford.