Chapter 16: Moment of Truth

"Elaine, the line is moving." He said pointing behind her.

Elaine's shoulders slumped. Well, that was a let-down, she thought.

"I think I just lost my appetite," she said in a defeated tone.

"Well, I'm famished," Sandy responded and sped past her, catching up with the rest of the line.

Philip's mouth spread into a half smile, "YOU...not hungry...that would be a first." He stated sardonically.

She definitely liked her dream version of him more.

"Haha, very funny," she retorted, turning to face the line, which at this point had almost dwindled down.

"Come on Lai, you need energy for all the reading ahead of you," Phillip whispered in her right ear.

She turned to face him with a wide grin on her face, only then realizing how close he had been standing to whisper that. She started blushing like a teenager, her heart was beating like a loud drum in her ears. He grabbed her shoulders, spun her on her heels and gave her a little nudge towards the non-existent food line. She scurried on, while mentally performing somersaults. She couldn't believe this was possible. For some reason, the realization that they can finally communicate in private gave her a ray of hope.

It really was strange how insignificant things, such as a single private conversation, could now elate her so much.

She got her food and almost sprinted back to the table. She was determined to finish her food and dart up to her room to finish reading those journals. Who knew maybe they held the key to her newfound abilities?

She scarfed down her food and jumped to her feet.

"I have to go do some reading," she stated in answer to everyone's questioning looks.

"But...but..." Daniel stuttered, looking hurt at her continued evasion of going to the padded practice room.

"I'm sorry, guys. I'm just not up to socializing today. With everything that has transpired lately, I just need some alone time to think things through. I'll see y'all again at lunch."

With that, she spun on her heels and headed straight to her room. She really did need some alone time, and her brain was going to explode with all the questions that she had.

She got to her room and headed straight for the shelf, grabbing the 3rd journal in the series. It was much like the last two. David and John get a 'special' case, they solve the crime, then John writes it all down. So far, they had apprehended some drug dealers, some common thugs, a kidnapper, and a gun-for-hire. She was beginning to wonder if all the journal entries were the same, and if she would learn anything from them. The way things were headed, it seemed that they would all be crime-solving entries. It made for enjoyable reading, but she sorely needed to learn more.

She was almost halfway through the third journal when her cuff began to vibrate, letting her know it was time for lunch. It was only then that she realized that the hours passed by like mere minutes.

She descended the stairs, grabbed her food, and joined her comrades at the table.

"No more reading or alone time!" stated Sandy. "We've all come together and concluded that we won't let you sit and stew all by yourself up there. We've all been there when the whole world seems like it's conspired against you. We won't let you go through it alone, Elaine." She took a deep breath and looked at her, waiting to see if her words sunk in. "Join us in the practice room after lunch; we will practice, and you can just watch if you're not comfortable yet, 'aight?" She concluded with a sweet smile.