157. I...I can't do this.

Start from the beginning

"Here, doll," I say, handing my shirt to her as I settle beside her, leaning on my vibranium arm.

She pulls my shirt on, and as always, I can't help thinking about how good she looks in my clothes. She settles into my arms, and we lie together quietly; eventually, she speaks.

"This is what I was talking about...how you always know what to do. Thank you."

"You're welcome, Réa."

I brush her hair back from her face and stroke her cheek, my eyes on hers.

"Do you want to stay here, or do you want to go in the living room, or—?" I ask.

"Can we watch The Great British Bakeoff? And snuggle?"

'God, she's so cute,' I think.

I grin. "Of course."

I stands and grab a clean shirt from my drawer in her dresser, pulling it on then scooping her up into my arms. I carry her into the living room and settle us into our usual snuggling position on the couch before grabbing the remote and turning on the TV.

After a while, she sits up, facing me, and speaks.

"I wanted to," she says softly. "But my brain decided that was the time to remind me that, every time we've...been intimate...there have been cameras. And it hasn't been just us." She pauses. "I'm s—"

"You can always stop things...always. And you never have to explain, or apologise."

She nods.

"The same applies to you," she says softly.

I don't know if it's the words or her quiet tone, but my eyes widen and I go very still.

'She knows. Oh god, she knows,' I think. 'But maybe she doesn't.'

I'm silent for a long moment; eventually, I speak.

"I..." I sigh heavily. "How long have you known?"

'Please say you don't know what I'm talking about, please say you don't kn—'

"Since I read all of the files and information Nat leaked." She pauses. "I never said anything. To anyone. It's your story; it's not mine to share." Another pause. "It was just one file...one deeply-buried, heavily-encrypted file. I thought about deleting it, but realised that should be your call."

Too many feelings swamp me, rendering me speechless; Réa continues.

"I didn't read it. Well, I read the first few sentences, but as soon as I saw the words..." she swallows audibly, "...I stopped as soon as I saw the words 'sold to the highest bidder'."

Her voice breaks as she utters those words.

"I...I should have told you that I knew...I didn't know how, though. And I also thought that you should be able to tell me yourself. I didn't...I didn't want to take that choice away from you. Not..." she trails off.

I continue to sit silently, unable to make myself speak.

"I didn't mean to bring this up. I know that this is a subject that's difficult to talk about...to even think about. My earlier statement was really just...I just wanted you to know that you'll always be safe with me...that everything you offer me, I offer back to you."

She clears her throat.

"I'm sorry," she says, her voice breaking again.

Though her eyes are filled with tears, she keeps her gaze on me.