48. I do want to kiss you.

JULY 21, 2018 — AVENGERS COMPOUND — BUCKY

After leaving Tony's office, I head to Réa's room. Knocking on the door, I get no answer.

"Réa, I'm sure you don't want to see me right now, but I—"

"Sergeant Barnes," F.R.I.D.A.Y. says. "Réa is not here. She is in the music room."

"Oh. Okay. Thank you, F.R.I.D.A.Y."

"You're welcome, Sergeant Barnes."

I turn from Réa's door, and take a few steps before I realise I have no idea where to go.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y....where is the music room? It definitely wasn't included on the welcome tour, and I've never even heard anyone mention it before."

"That is because Mister Stark built it just for Réa. Aside from her, Mister Stark, Ms. Potts, Colonel Rhodes, Mister Hogan, myself, Agent Romanoff, Miss Maximoff, and now you, no one knows it exists. To get there, follow the hall and then take the first right. You will see a 'recording in progress' sign above the door. It will be lit up."

"Thank you, again, F.R.I.D.A.Y.."

"You are welcome, Sergeant Barnes."

I follow F.R.I.D.A.Y.'s directions, and it doesn't take me long to reach the music room. Just like the A.I. said, the recording light is on. I reach my hand out to the door handle, and just before I make contact, I hear the lock disengage.

'Well that's kind of weird,' I think as I open the door and enter the room.

When I'm inside, I turn and re-engage the lock. I look around the room, and see Réa in the booth, playing a harp, and I can't help but grin.

'Look at that...she plays the harp. An angel with a harp. Well, half-Seraph, but still,' I chuckle to myself as I watch her play.

I can't hear anything—I don't expect to; I assumed the booth was soundproofed when I walked in—but I don't mind just watching. Her hands move gracefully over the strings, and the expression on her face looks peaceful.

'God, she's gorgeous,' I think as I watch her.

After several moments, her posture changes, becoming less relaxed. She raises her head and meets my gaze, surprise on her face. She picks up some sort of device and presses a button, and then I hear her voice over the intercom.

"How did you get in?" she asks, and I don't miss the irritation in her tone. "The door was locked. And the recording light was on, so even if the door had been unlocked, you shouldn't have come in."

"I—"

"I let Sergeant Barnes in, Réa," F.R.I.D.A.Y. interrupts.

"You did what?!" she shouts the last word, then pauses, drawing in a deep breath. "I apologise, F.R.I.D.A.Y.; I didn't mean to be rude. I was shocked, and irritated, and that's no excuse. I'm sorry."

"It is quite alright, Réa. I only let Sergeant Barnes in under specific instructions from Mister Stark that he find you."

I watch her frown, then press a button on the device before she stands and walks to the booth door, opening it and leaning against the jamb as she speaks.

"So why are you here?" she asks brusquely.

"I went to your room...I was looking for you. F.R.I.D.A.Y. told me where to find you," I reply.

"Why were you looking for me?"

"At the pond, it seemed like you were upset with me. I wanted to know why."