And Lydia really wasn't complaining.

🦎

Allison looked around in a suspicious manner as she sat at one of the outside tables during lunch, scouring the area just in case someone ─like her father or his men─ was watching her. She was acutely aware that one of the reasons her grandfather was now principal was to keep an eye on things at school such as herself.

Oliver wasn't quite as bothered as he sat next to her, snacking on a KitKat bar he'd brought from home as he scrolled on his phone. He didn't care for discretion and chuckled audibly at a meme on his screen, ignoring the look on Allison's face when he showed it to her.

"Heh, get it?" he asked and she shot him a deadpan look. He took her silence as a no. "They put milk before cereal so they're a psychopath..?" When she once more remained silent he whined dramatically and collapsed at the table. "You're no fun when you're paranoid."

Allison rolled her eyes and broke off a piece of his KitKat. "Yeah, well, you're annoying when you're bored." she shot back snidely and returned her gaze to their surroundings. 

Oliver raised his eyebrows and propped his chin up on his hand with his elbow leaned against the table. "You know, looking around like you're doing right now actually brings more attention to us than me sitting with my phone. You're acting very suspicious." he pointed out.

Annoyed, Allison pushed his face off his hand with an eye roll. "Oh, shush."

Just then Stiles came running toward them, panting audibly. A thin layer of sweat coated his forehead and he was quick to wipe it away as he collapsed on the bench next to Oliver. Allison and Oliver shared a look of amusement as they waited for him to catch his breath.

"Does your family keep some kind of record of all the things they've hunted?" Stiles blurted through his gasps. Oliver patted his back as he offered a sympathetic smile. Despite having played lacrosse for soon-to-be two years, Stiles was far from athletic. "Like a Bestiary of some sort?"

Oliver scrunched his nose up, a completely different word coming to mind. That couldn't be what Stiles meant... Right? A glance at Allison told him she was thinking the exact same thing as she stifled her giggles.

"I think you mean bestiality, Stiles." she grinned but was instantly shot down by Stiles who dramatically shook his head with narrowed eyes.

"No, I mean Bestiary." he insisted.

Without looking, he slapped the back of Oliver's head, successfully snapping the boy out of his peculiar thoughts. The boy's cheeks flushed bright red and he scratched at the back of his head awkwardly.

"Ugh, you two are just like Scott. I don't even want to know what's going on in your head." Stiles' voice resembled a parent's as he scolded them.

Clearly embarrassed, Allison shook herself out of it. "Okay, um... can you describe this thing?" she queried, leaning her head against her hand.

"Uh, it's probably like a book- old, worn-"

Oliver perked up when he saw realization cross over Allison's features.

"...Like bound in leather?" she finished for him.

Stiles sucked in a breath and prepared to take off running when Oliver put a hand on his chest and forcefully pushed him down into his seat. "Sit," he said firmly, and Stiles, weirdly enough, felt inclined to listen. Oliver reached behind him and pulled his cell phone from his pocket, pressing the necessary buttons to dial Scott's number.

After a few rings, Scott accepted the call and his voice flowed through the phone speakers.

"Ollie?"