| 31 |

Sofía really didn't want to speak with Derek after everything that had taken place recently. With him turning teenagers into defenseless werewolves, beating up her brother, and allowing the power to get to his head, he really wasn't making the list of her friends or even acquaintances at this point. But for some reason - that she cursed silently in her head - the almost sixteen years they spent growing up together made her care for him.

And even though she wanted nothing more than to slap the smirk he always seemed to wear like a crown off his face, the new information her brother and friends had learned needed to be brought to his attention peacefully. If there was any time over, maybe she could get a hit in for good measure.

The abandoned railway depot was anything but a home, especially for three teenagers. Sofía hoped Erica and Boyd had enough control over their powers to live with their parents still. But Isaac had nowhere to go, and that saddened her. Sure, he got rid of his abusive father, how horrible that may sound. But sleeping in a train was not that much of an upgrade. She prayed Derek would get his shit together and give the boy a proper home sooner rather than later. Isaac was his responsibility now after all.

Derek was yelling when Sofía walked down the stopped escalators. From what she could tell, he was stressed about the kanima and Gerard. He wanted Erica and Isaac to get close to her brother and his friends. That nearly made Sofía laugh out loud. It was an absurd idea. Oliver hated them both more than anything for attempting to murder Lydia and there wasn't a chance in hell he would be forgiving them anytime soon. And Scott and Stiles knew better than to betray Oliver like that.

She announced her presence by clearing her throat. Her arms were folded across her chest and her eyebrows were arched when Derek turned to stare at her in disbelief. He hadn't expected her to ever speak with him again. He knew better than to get his hopes up. This didn't mean Sofía would stop hating him. It only meant something serious enough had happened for her to seek him out and warn him.

With a simple look, he dismissed his betas. Isaac and Erica trudged away, the former looking pissed off. Sofía smiled kindly in their direction. Erica was quick to return the action. Her demeanor brightened upon spotting the older teen and she had half a mind to embrace her in a tight embrace. But judging by how Derek stood as tense as a statue, Erica figured it wouldn't be such a good idea. Isaac had to force his smile. Not because he wasn't happy to see Sofía - because he was. He was just angry with Derek at the moment.

Sofía didn't take offense to it, though. She knew how much Oliver still struggled with his emotions. It was exhausting to always have to suppress your actions. Especially since everything was heightened and he still wasn't in complete control.

It was Derek who broke the silence that ensued shortly after Isaac and Erica left.

"What are you doing here, Sofía?" Derek asked, sounding just as exhausted as he looked.

She almost felt sympathetic. But then she remembered how he beat up her brother and felt satisfied instead. At least he was suffering as much as Oliver and his friends.

"Oh, you know. Just checking in." a pause, and then she continued. "Beat up any teenagers lately? Attempted a second murder?" while Sofía was silently laughing at her own jokes, Derek remained unphased and unamused.

He sighed and pinched his nose bridge. "Sofía," he sounded like a parent scolding their child, and that infuriated Sofía more than anything else. 

"Don't 'Sofía' me." she snapped. "You should be happy I'm even looking at you with everything you've done lately."

"I am!" Derek insisted, almost offended at the idea that he wouldn't be glad she was there. "I am thrilled that you are speaking with me, Sof, believe me! But if you haven't heard, there's a kanima running around killing people and Gerard seems awfully interested in it."