13. Draught Distillery

The world woke with a gentle sigh as the morning light tiptoed through the horizon. Dew-kissed petals unfurled, greeting the day with a quiet elegance. Birdsong weaved a delicate melody, harmonizing with the rustle of leaves in the breeze. The air, laced with the scent of blossoms and fresh promise, wrapped around like a comforting embrace. In this tender hour, nature converged in a tranquil dance.

Fumy was renowned for her deep slumbers, struggling to rouse herself early each morning. She found herself gradually awakening as she shuffled along, guided by the insistent tugs of Agent Pig. It must have been around eight in the morning when they stepped outside. Fumy couldn't fathom why he was coercing her out at such an unearthly hour. Then, in a daze, she stumbled and collided into Agent Pig.

He turned to her, and Fumy found herself half-awake, propped up on the ground—or was it snow? A peculiar sense of déjà vu enveloped her; it felt like she had stood in this precise spot just yesterday. Lifting her head, the realization dawned upon her—it truly was the same place. Eyes wide, she surveyed her surroundings, recognizing the familiarity of the place. Agent Pig stood patiently nearby, waiting for her to comprehend.

"What are we... doing here?" Fumy mumbled, rubbing her eyes in confusion.

"Come closer," Agent Pig beckoned persuasively.

Fumy trailed after him, passing Darren's house, her surprise growing as she laid eyes on another house. Before Agent Pig could explain, the truth dawned on her.

"This is your new home for now. But if you've already built something here, it's fine. Consider it your backup house," he disclosed.

Fumy's face lit up with an expansive grin, her consciousness fully returned, taking in the entirety of her new surroundings. Her tail wagged with unbridled joy, feet tapping in the snow. Rarely had she felt such happiness, not even in the discovery of ancient treasures or historical artifacts. Days or weeks ago, her life seemed like a chaotic mess, tangled in the uncertainty of the treehouse. But now, contentment filled her heart, emanating from the simplest gift: a new home. No longer would she have to rely on Len or Agent Pig. She was, at last, not homeless anymore!

"May I ask why though?" Fumy's words trickled out slowly, curiosity lacing her voice as she regarded Agent Pig.

He paused, a flicker of uncertainty crossing his features before he took a small breath. "This was meant for someone else, but I realized they don't need it as much as you do," he explained with a shrug. "Are you fine living next to Darren?"

"Absolutely! He seems like a fun person to be around," Fumy exclaimed, her enthusiasm unmarred by any reservations.

Agent Pig chuckled softly. His gaze drifted toward the window, his eyes tracing the ascending path of the sun. Meanwhile, Fumy ventured around the house's rooms, expecting a furnished space but finding emptiness instead. She returned to find Agent Pig, who seemed restless as he peered out the window. Sensing his nervous energy, Fumy approached, only for him to pivot and hastily address her.

"I can't stay long. There are other matters demanding my attention now," he rushed out.

Concern etched across her face, Fumy inquired, "Is everything alright?"

Without answering, Agent Pig hurriedly departed, leaving Fumy feeling brushed aside. She sighed, acknowledging the abruptness. Despite her efforts to show care, she realized she might be back to sleeping in her trusty sleeping bag once more.

***

After a brisk walk, and a bit of trotting along the way, Agent Pig finally arrived at his cabin. Stepping inside, he found Darren and Remi huddled together, sharing an air of excitement that was palpable. Remi wore a broad smile while Darren seemed utterly bewildered. The two gestured and nudged each other, their silent exchanges leaving Agent Pig clueless.