Chapter 45

October 10th today was the day.

I was a bag of nerves all morning. I hadn't slept much, but I did remember waking up from a nightmare, so I must've had a few hours at least. Riley's face haunted my thoughts, his hands pinning me down in a never-ending loop. I couldn't shake off the feeling of fear and disgust.

Trying to ease my anxiety, my mum had already picked out an outfit for me to wear. It was a black suit, reserved for sombre occasions like distant relatives' funerals. As soon as I put it on, I couldn't wait to take it off.

The Youth Court had rejected jurisdiction over my case, and it was sent to the Crown Court for trial. Despite not being adults, we would have a jury instead of magistrates due to the severity of the crime.

"Are you almost ready? We'll all be downstairs waiting" my mum called from the landing.

"Just give me ten minutes", I replied with a shaky breath before composing myself and getting ready.

Charlotte and Owen were already waiting downstairs with my dad. They were dressed just as uncomfortably as I was in their formal attire, though Owen managed to pull off the suit with a certain suaveness.

As I descended the stairs, I met each of their eyes and tried to convey that I was okay. I made them all promise not to fuss too much. I was doing okay, but one kind word would inevitably send me over the edge. I gazed out the window, my mind running through every possible outcome and how I would feel if Riley was found not guilty. My stomach churned with apprehension, causing me to tap my toes incessantly on the car mat. Without thinking, Owen reached for my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine.

"It's going to be okay, you've got this", he reassured me.

I forced a smile, grateful for his presence.

Bailey and my solicitor briefed us on what to expect. We were led to a separate waiting area away from Riley's family and asked to use a different entrance to avoid any confrontation at the front of the court.

"I have some great news, Everly. Vivienne had a change of heart. She couldn't be here in person, but she did give evidence via TV link. That just leaves you. Are you ready?" Bailey said with a hint of relief in her voice.

I couldn't believe that she'd come through for me. For us. Riley wasn't going to hurt anyone again.

"I'm ready", I replied, steeling myself for what was to come.

I was shown to the witness box and sworn in. I scanned the faces of the jury, trying not to let their scrutinising gazes intimidate me. One young woman caught my eye and gave me a compassionate look, silently offering her support. As the prosecution went through the events of that night, I spoke clearly and confidently, though my hands fidgeted nervously behind the dock. I was glad they couldn't see that.

Then it was time for the defence to cross-examine me.

Riley's solicitor, a tall man with sharp features and an air of arrogance, stood up. He had a permanent scowl etched onto his face as he tore into me with his questioning. I could barely finish my answers before he fired off another question or ripped apart my statement. I could feel myself getting flustered and starting to stutter.

"Objection your honour, argumentative", said the prosecution.

"Sustained. May I remind you that she is only 17", the judge warned stiffly.

But the defence continued to attack my version of events, claiming I had asked Riley to take me home and then flipped out because I was drunk. It was insulting, but this time I managed to keep my cool and stick to the truth.

As I stole a glance at Riley, he avoided my gaze and kept his eyes glued to the floor. He looked paler and frailer than usual, his once muscular frame now appearing hollow beneath his clothes.

Finally, the prosecution rested their case and it was over. The jury retired to deliberate and consider their verdict: guilty or not guilty for Riley's actions that night. And then it would all be over.

We sat in uncomfortable silence, nervous energy shared amongst us. I couldn't bear the suffocating atmosphere any longer, so I mustered up the courage to ask Charlotte to take me home. As we waited for an officer to come speak to us, I found solace in knowing that Mr O'Connor senior had been summoned to Magistrate's Court for his actions.

My parents wisely kept their distance, giving me space to decompress from the intense emotions of the day. They had thoughtfully ordered my favourite Chinese food, and as I curled up with Charlotte on the couch, she put on one of her infamous bad films.

"Thank you both for being here today, it means a lot to me", I said gratefully.

"You don't need to thank us", replied Charlotte, squeezing me gently.

"We wouldn't have missed it King, you did amazing. We are so proud of you", chimed in Owen with a reassuring smile.