Chapter 31

I told Owen to keep quiet about it. I wanted to be the one to tell Charlotte in person. My mum was naturally curious after hearing raised voices, but I assured her everything was fine. As I grabbed my bag and took a final bite of jam on toast, I prayed that Riley wouldn't be at school today. The previous night had been horrendous, and I didn't to repeat want any part of it.

Owen insisted on meeting me at the school entrance. I tried to convince him that I could walk in alone, but he was adamant. He was still on high alert from last night. Leaning against the wall, he gazed at me with affection. He smiled, but my heart sank as I noticed his eye had turned a deep shade of violet.

This is all my fault. The words echoed in my mind, tormenting me.

"Are you okay?" I asked, looking up into his eye. His skin was now bruised and battered.

"Never better", he replied, pulling me closer and kissing the top of my head.

As he led me to English like my own personal bodyguard, we spotted Charlotte waiting for us by the door. Her eyes widened as she looked at Owen, scanning every inch of his face.

"What happened to you?" she exclaimed; her voice filled with distress. "Were you in a fight?" She reached for his face, grabbing his cheeks, turning them from side to side examining his bruises.

He brushed her off. "Charlie, I'm fine", he chuckled dryly.

Noticing our matching worried expressions, he addressed us both. "I'm tougher than I look. Now go on, ladies". He placed a hand on each of our shoulders and guided us towards the door. I turned back to say something, but he was already walking away.

The moment we entered class, Charlotte grabbed my wrist and pulled me over to a corner.

"Tell me what happened right now!"

"Well—"

Mrs Diaz cut in, "if it's important enough to interrupt my class, then please share it with the rest of us". All eyes turned to us, and I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks.

"It's nothing" I replied.

"Then take your seats", she said adamantly as she tapped away on her laptop.

Charlotte shot me a disappointed look before turning back around. I could see she was dying to know, as her foot bounced relentlessly throughout the lesson. I wasn't looking forward to this. As soon as class ended, she spun around to face me like a scene out of The Exorcist.

"Bathroom. Now", she commanded as we both rose from our seats.

I opened the door and felt a not-so-friendly squeeze on my arm. Turning to face Cassie, I saw a not-so-friendly expression on her face.

"Whatever you said to Owen doesn't matter, because you'll always be second best", she sneered.

She yanked me back, digging her nails into my flesh. Reacting quickly, I smacked her hand away and pushed her back.

​"Oh, boohoo Cassie, another guy is already bored with you, how is that my fault exactly?!"

"He chose me over you. Remember that Everly".

"Girls", Mrs Diaz warned as she stood up to assess the situation.

"Just watch your back", Cassie hissed as she walked away with a sly grin.

"Shut up, Cassie! You have the rest of your life to be a bitch. Why not take a day off?" Charlotte shouted after her.

Charlotte led me through the crowd, her grip firm on my hand as she weaved us through groups of people. With each step, she glanced over her shoulder, checking to make sure no one was following us. Finally, she stopped in front of the bathroom door and pushed it open, pulling me inside with her. She quickly closed the door behind us before getting down on her hands and knees, checking under each stall to ensure privacy.

"Charlotte, no one's in here, if you check again, I'm leaving", I exclaimed.

"I know" she said, I just don't want anyone to hear us" she whispered as if someone somewhere was eavesdropping.

I leaned against the wall and slid down to the floor with a thud, crossing my arms over my chest. Charlotte joined me, sitting close enough that our shoulders touched.

"Everly", she began.

"Please just listen", I interrupted, my voice trembling slightly. "I need to tell you everything that happened". She nodded silently, and I took a deep breath before launching into every sordid detail again. I didn't shed one tear this time, however. Stealing glances at Charlotte's reaction. Her lips were pulled downward in a frown of repulsion.

My fingers dug into the fabric of my jeans as I hugged my legs tighter, trying to protect myself from the pain of her inevitable rejection.

As soon as I finished speaking, she placed both hands on my shoulders. Bracing myself for rejection or anger, I was surprised when instead of pushing me away, she wrapped her arms around me tightly. A few tears fell onto my neck as she sobbed quietly.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you" she said as she broke down. I patted and rubbed her back. She held onto me fiercely.

When she finally pulled back, she looked at me, her eyes were filled with sympathy and love. I felt so stupid for thinking the worst. She was my best friend, of course she was going to believe me. We sat and talked over things a bit more until a group of girls walked in looking at us like we were a couple of weirdos.

Charlotte stood up and offered me a hand, helping me to my feet.

"Let's go find Owen", she suggested with a small smile. I nodded, feeling grateful for her support as we left the bathroom together.