Chapter 8

Today, I decided to take the bus as I felt we'd talked enough last night. As we all piled off, I couldn't help but notice Owen leaning nonchalantly against his sleek black car. When he saw me, he waved and motioned for me to come over. As I got closer my excitement quickly turned into dread when I saw Cassie and Amelia also making their way towards him.

I debated veering off into the school building, but why should I? Owen was my friend, not theirs. So, I stuck to my path and the three of us arrived at Owen's side simultaneously.  I tried to think of something to say, but nothing seemed worthy or appropriate.

"Now how did I get so lucky that three beautiful ladies want to be in my company?" Owen joked with a smirk on his face.

I snickered, knowing full well that they weren't beautiful on the inside. In fact, they were like trolls disguised as humans. The thought made me laugh out loud, earning strange looks from all three of them.

Quickly composing myself, I cleared my throat and spoke up. "So, Owen, are we heading in?"

Amelia gave me a disdainful look before turning her attention back to Owen. "Actually, Owen, we were wondering if you had some free time to help us out".

Cassie chimed in with a pouty expression, playing with the frills of her crop-top that barely covered her cleavage. Summer was almost over, and she was dressing like it was the hottest day of the year.

Clearly trying to draw attention to her assets, she looked at Owen suggestively while batting her eyelashes. My teeth clenched at the sight, but I stayed silent.

"Oh yeah?" Owen raised an eyebrow in amusement.

Amelia switched into a sickeningly sweet voice. "We need help with the drama set and, well, we need a big, strong man like you".

Cassie added with a wink, "I'll make it worth your while". My stomach turned at her flirtatious behaviour.

I couldn't hold back my disgust and made a gagging noise. Once again, all three of them looked at me like I was the odd one out.

"Sorry", I said sarcastically. "Just threw up a little in my mouth. Carry on".

"Ew, Everly!" Cassie exclaimed with a disgusted look.

Without thinking, I burst out with "he can't".

They both turned to me with venomous looks.

"And why is that?" Amelia questioned with a look that could kill. I tried to think quickly.

"Because we have to talk baby names, isn't that right Cassie" I said with a gutsy tone looking directly at her.

Her eyes darted suspiciously in every direction, but she avoided looking at me or Owen and I knew indefinitely it was her who'd been spreading rumours.

Before they could say anything else, I had grabbed Owen's hand and was pulling him towards the school building. "Sorry girls", I called out over my shoulder I called as they stood looking pissed. "You'll just have to find another poor guy to suck the soul out of".

They glared at me and probably hurled insults my way, but I didn't care. I was done with their manipulative behaviour.

"So, King" Owen said with amusement. "What was that about?"

"What?" I replied innocently.

"Nothing," he chuckled. "You're something else. "He grabbed me and pulled me close. Throwing his arm over my shoulder.

With a gentle shove, I responded, "I wouldn't let those succubi take advantage of you".

The day dragged on, the weight of exhaustion weighing heavily on my shoulders. My eyes drooped and I struggled to stay awake in my classes. But then, a pleasant surprise: I bumped into Charlotte and there was no awkwardness between us. In fact, it felt as if we had never been apart. We shared a good chuckle over the Amelia and Cassie situation, which brought back memories of our carefree laughter from before. Apparently, I had become a bit possessive over Owen, my imaginary baby daddy. We laughed like old times, feeling refreshed by our easy banter. The anxiety that had been eating at me melted away as we caught up with each other before lunch.

While Owen wanted us all to meet up, I craved some solitary time. I found a secluded spot under my favourite cherry blossom tree, its delicate pink petals cascading down around me. From this vantage point, I could see most of the school grounds. A memory flashed through my mind - Charlotte and I trying smoking under this very tree, only to quickly discover it wasn't for us. Lost in thought and smiling at the memory, I almost walked right into him.

My feet froze as I stared wide-eyed at Riley standing before me.

"Hey, Everly", he greeted, his warm smile clashing with the nausea welling up inside me.