Chapter 28

His strong arms wrapped around me, providing a sense of comfort and security as I clung to him. We stood there for what felt like an eternity, neither of us speaking or moving. Finally, I looked up at him with bleary eyes, my tears soaking into his shirt.

"This was a new T-shirt" his lips pulled back into a broad, beaming grin.

"Sorry", I said, attempting to wipe away the evidence of my breakdown. He glanced down at himself and let out a small chuckle.

"It's kind of like your art, abstract", he remarked.

I couldn't help but laugh a little through my tears. "Can we talk? No arguing. Just talk".

"Of course", he said, motioning towards his car.

I slid onto the seat, and he handed me a tissue. "I don't think I need that now", I said, gesturing towards his two-toned shirt.

"I'll admit it. I was jealous", I blurted out, "I just couldn't understand why you would want her over me".

"It wasn't about that, King", he replied calmly.

"Then what was it about? We kissed and it was amazing. Better than amazing. And then you just went cold on me". There was desperation in my voice.

He shifted in his seat, looking troubled. "I wanted it more than anything", he admitted, meeting my gaze with sincere eyes.

"So why did you say it was a mistake?" I asked.

"Because imagine if we had pursued something more serious and it didn't work out. Our relationship has been so up and down lately, imagine how much more intense it would feel in a romantic context".

"We haven't always been like this; we hardly ever argued before", I protested.

"Everything was different before you ghosted me" he shrugged.

"So, you're punishing me" I said.

"No, it was just easier with Cassie. Despite what you may think, it was completely casual. I wanted something that wouldn't be intense, that wouldn't be like this". He said the last part so quietly that I almost didn't hear him. He looked straight ahead as if going over his own words.

In that moment, I felt like he had taken me and crumpled me like a piece of paper, then stomped all over me after discarding me on the floor.

"Where do we go from here then" I said, staring straight ahead also.

"We go back to how we were before; we go back to being friends", he said softly, trying to lighten the mood by playfully shoving me. But I couldn't find it in myself to laugh.

"It can never go back to how we were", I said through sobs, feeling the weight of sadness crushing me. I buried my face in my hands as the tears continued to flow.

"Hey, it's not that bad of an idea", he said, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"You don't understand", I cried, unable to look at him.

"What do you mean, King? Please just tell me", he pleaded.

"I tried to tell you before, I really wanted to" he nodded patiently, "the night of Evan's party". I started as I wiped away the tears racing down my cheeks "I was fine one minute, having a good time then Riley gave me a drink and I swear it was within minutes that I didn't feel right".

"So, Riley gave you a strong drink..." he began, but I held up my hand to stop him.

"Just let me say what I need to say before I lose the courage", I begged.

He leaned back in his seat, letting me continue.

"You were with those college guys and Charlotte was in the bathroom. After drinking that drink, I felt dizzy and sick. I tried to stand up, but I was grateful when Riley offered to take me outside for some fresh air. But as soon as we stepped outside, the breeze hit me, and I felt even worse. He offered to take me home, and I accepted, making the worst mistake of my life". I couldn't hide the distress in my voice as I recounted the painful memory.

I couldn't look at him, but there was no stopping me now. "I remember getting in the car and feeling like I was losing control of my body. My head was throbbing. I hadn't had any drinks before Riley handed me that cup".

"He kept telling me how pretty I looked and how he'd wanted me for a long time. His words were lewd and vulgar, making me feel uncomfortable and uneasy. I closed my eyes for what felt like a minute, trying to regain my composure, but when I opened them, I realised we were going in the wrong direction. Panic set in as I sat up and asked him where we were going. He ignored my question and pulled into an abandoned area. In an instant, his hands were on me, pawing at my skirt and pulling me towards him. As I struggled against his grip, I hit my head on the car door and slipped down onto the seat".

"He aggressively kissed me, his teeth biting into my lips so hard they drew blood. My mind raced as I tried to push him off, but he was too strong, pinning my arms down with his weight. It wasn't until he bit down even harder that I found some strength to fight back. With all the force I could muster, I kicked him in the groin, and he fell backwards with a cry of pain. Taking my chance, I clawed at the car door and tumbled out onto the ground. Without looking back, I ran as fast as I could. I finally knocked on the door of the first house I came across, tears streaming down my face and my body shaking with fear. A kind woman answered and immediately took me in".