Twenty

CADE POV

The drive to Lincoln for my birthday weekend was more exciting than I expected thanks to a 90's Pop playlist Margot compiled for us to enjoy. We were rocking out to Backstreet Boys, Jessica Simpson, and 98 Degrees while enjoying turkey wraps she made ahead for the trip. I was busy getting my business off the ground but could not wait for a few days at the Big House with my family.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and I quickly headed to the store with Dad so we could get some groceries. Margot had most of the baked goods ready but offered to make a batch of the caramel blondies my Mom loves once we arrived. They also planned to get pie crusts started so that gave me the chance to have a chat with my Dad.

Mom was excited for them to get time one on one together, too. Their friendship has blossomed in the last couple of months. Margot was intentional about spending time with the people she loves. This weekend was our chance to reconnect with the family as a whole, though we talk to everyone when we can.

Dad grabbed a shopping cart and headed to the produce aisle with a paper list in hand from Mom. "So tonight we'll just order pizza but tomorrow we can have barbecue chicken for dinner. I have most of the prep ready but we need to get salad stuff and fruit as well as bread. Your Mom already stocked the pantry so Margot can have at it."

"Works for me. Thanks for hosting all of us, Dad," I said with a grin.

He chuckled, "You're doing us a favor, Son. We are happier with you kids home." He paused, then shared, "Your Mom and I have talked about moving but it just seems like it's too soon. Blake is graduating in the next couple weeks so we will host her graduation party, but maybe when we get to Autumn we will look into downsizing."

I grinned while loading up our cart with bags of oranges and Honeycrisp apples while Dad picked up a container of caramel dip. "We need at least two of those, Dad," I laughed, picking up more apples as well. "We should get cream cheese and marshmallow fluff, too, so Blake can put together that fruit dip. I love that stuff."

"You're smart, Cade."

"Well, you're welcome to come visit in the city whenever you want. Margot and I have a camper van we plan to rent for a good month or so this summer. We want to see some national parks and it will be a great time for Blake and Eddie to use our apartment, too. This morning we spent a couple hours planning our trip and getting some arrangements confirmed so it's actually going to happen."

"Your landlord is okay with that?"

I nodded, "Oh, they're great. We showed them a koala keychain that the guests will use so they can show that if it's needed just to prove they're legit. Margot is excited about the idea of having a couple days with them in the city before we leave. Eddie never gets time off except in the summer and Blake is figuring out what she wants to do next so this is the perfect opportunity for them to breathe somewhere new."

"I'm glad you gave them the option. Your Mom and I loved visiting a few weeks ago, especially since Margot has become such a wonderful cook. The fish she baked in parchment paper was just incredible. We still talk about it. Oh, speaking of, we need to get lemons and fresh fish so she can show me how to make that. I'll put dinner together for your Mother next week."

I laughed and agreed as we continued discussing my new company and how his law firm was doing. They represent bigger corporations but my Dad agreed to be my lawyer as far as contracts are concerned. He was proud of how much Margot helps, as well, and could not believe how the couples workout sessions have taken off.

"Do you think that's going to be a bigger focus for you now?"

"Probably. We really enjoy working together and Margot is a great student. She's just so damn sweet. We have one couple getting married next month that has 3 more sessions but we will probably meet up with them once in awhile down the road as well. They have a few sets of friends that want the same thing."