Eight

CADE POV

I heard music playing upstairs and grinned while stretching as I finished my nap.  This small bed used to feel so big but now it's definitely not going to cut it in the future.

Margot woke up before me and obviously has no problem being at home with my family. That fact alone had me scrolling on my phone for engagement rings, not to mention how supportive she is of my sobriety.  Hearing her speak about the trauma she suffered as a foster child as well as how she got the scar on her stomach broke my heart. 

How can she be so endlessly supportive when that has never been shown to her by others?

I've always thought marriage was a "maybe someday" topic.  Now it's clear I have someone in my life that I don't want to let go.  Of course we've had a few disagreements and it is clear Margot has abandonment issues that are a big concern, but I would be a fool to walk away from everything she brings to my life.

The music was catchy and I realized it was probably Taylor Swift.  My sister is a big fan and so is my girl. I headed upstairs while tucking my phone in my pocket, grinning as I heard the lyrics.

"I want you for worse or for better, I would wait forever and ever.  Broke your heart, I'll put it back together, I would wait forever and ever..."

They were singing along while sitting at the kitchen table, both on laptops working.  Margot was bopping in her seat while typing as Blake noticed me and turned the music down with a bashful smile.  "Did we wake you up?"

Margot met my eyes with a grin as I approached and leaned down to hug her briefly, "Have a good nap?"

"It was great, thanks.  And no, you didn't wake me up.  What are you guys up to?"

"I'm just catching up on emails for a few so Blake wanted to have a jam session," she replied.

There was no shadow of fear like I saw earlier when she explained the scar.  Just open and willing to keep sharing her heart.

Another song started and Margot gasped, "Ooohh, such a good song.  "Speak Now" is my favorite album.  Convince me otherwise, Blake."

"I am not sure I can," my sister admitted with a laugh.  ""Red" has always been my fave, especially with the "All Too Well" 10 minute version now out, but I also fully support your choice."

I grabbed a cup of coffee and listened to the lyrics now playing.

"It's alright, just wait and see.  Your string of lights is still bright to me.  Oh, who you are is not where you've been... you're still an innocent."

Maybe I need to pay more attention to the songs Margot loves.  The melody was bittersweet and I sat next to her, listening intently.

"Who you are is not what you did... you're still an innocent..."

Damn.

She seemed to notice how closely I was concentrating and reached over to slip her hand into mine.  Margot offered a sweet smile then got back to her work only using her right hand to scroll a spreadsheet.

A constant support, no matter what I need.

The silent, unwavering lighthouse that will always guide me away from danger.

I'm more than lucky that she is in my life. 

Innocent is not a word I would have ever used to describe myself, but as the song ended I heard, "Lost your balance on a tight rope... it's never too late to get it back..."

Yeah.  That definitely suits me.

Blake turned off the music and yawned, "So, should I join Tinder?"

Margot laughed and shrugged, "I had a tough time finding anyone that wasn't just looking for a hook up.  Nothing wrong with that, but after a while it gets to be exhausting."