16. Secrets in the Shadows

ZARA

Blaze stared at the building with astonishment.

"I...I'm not sure." This was different from anything Zephyr had taught me. "It was like the magic guided me here."

"Whatever you did, it worked. Hopefully, we can get some answers from Xander."

The gothic mansion towered in front of us, its spires clawing at the dark sky. Thorny black iron gates surrounded the place, and stone gargoyles with glowing emerald eyes seemed to watch our every move. Yeah, the owner was definitely trying to scare people off. Scorpio's reputation as a recluse was well deserved.

The creaky drawbridge groaned under our feet as we crossed over the murky water. Once through the gates, a cobblestone path led us through overgrown gardens to an imposing wooden door. Faint torchlight flickered in the windows.

Despite the creepy vibe, that weird energy I'd sensed earlier was humming louder now, resonating inside me with an uncanny familiarity. It made my nerves jittery, but I steeled myself. We'd come too far to chicken out now.

The heavy door swung open untouched as we approached. Blaze tensed beside me, his fire magic warming my hand as we threaded our fingers together.

"Who opened the door for us?" I whispered. "And where is everyone?"

Blaze shook his head, brow furrowed. "I don't know. Stay close."

As we stepped into the grand foyer, the raw power of old magic prickled over my skin. Twisted iron candelabras lined the cracked stone walls, barely lighting up the room's shadowy corners. Strange paintings hung on the walls, with figures frozen mid-dance. The heavy, stale air reeked of dust and mustiness.

I glanced up at a zodiac mural painted on the high ceiling and stumbled, grabbing Blaze's shoulder. For a second, I could've sworn the Scorpio symbol flashed at me.

"You okay?" Concern filled his eyes.

"I'm fine." I forced a smile, not wanting to worry him over what was likely my imagination freaking out. "Just tripped."

His grip on my hand tightened while he scanned the room, shoulders tense with wariness. He didn't trust this place any more than I did.

Things only got creepier as we kept going. Glass cases displayed peculiar artefacts—a twisted bone-handled dagger, a rusty amulet with wicked thorns, a bejewelled scorpion figurine with gleaming ruby eyes. I froze as a statue's eyes flashed violet before staring empty again.

"This place is creeping me out," I muttered, moving closer to Blaze. "It feels...alive somehow."

"The ambient magic here is strong."

It was more than that. Like the powers here called to me, reacting to my presence. Did he sense it too?

"Where is Xander?" Blaze's question scattered my thoughts.

A cold voice echoed from the shadows of the grand staircase. "You should not be here."

I whirled around with a gasp as footsteps descended. A tall man with jet-black hair glared down at us, fury smouldering in his dark eyes. Magic crackled around him, making the hair on my arms prickle, danger radiated from him in waves. Xander.

Was he the Starfall version of Count Dracula because it sure felt like it....

"How dare you break into my home!" His words thundered through the mansion. "How did you get through my wards?"

I swallowed hard before my answer tumbled out. "We didn't break in. The door opened on its own."

"Impossible. My wards repel all unwelcome guests."