« 𝐓 𝐖 𝐄 𝐍 𝐓 𝐘 »

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────
Funeral
───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

The door opened and in came Master Lin.

"Get dressed," he said to Marcus and Daphne. He threw a suit and a dress on the bed before leaving the room. The clothes looked like funeral clothes.

Daphne yawned and buried her face in Marcus's neck, not wanting to get up yet. She was also wondering, how did Master Lin know she stayed with Marcus? And why didn't he say anything about it?

"Get up," Marcus mumbled tiredly.

"Later."

Daphne's eyes widened when the car approached a cemetery. It was obvious that Master Lin knew that Marcus killed Rory, not Willie.

"I thought you might have known him," Master Lin said to Marcus.

"Why did I have to come..." Daphne trailed off when Master Lin glared at her.

"Right, secret pledge," she mumbled to herself.

They approached the group of people around the coffin. A girl was speaking about Rory, it was his daughter.

Daphne held Marcus's hand, seeing this was hard for him. He knew Rory deserved it, but at the same time, he felt guilty.

When the daughter finished speaking, Master Lin pushed Marcus forward. Marcus approached the coffin and took a deep breath.

"Rory and me lived in a shanty camp under a bridge," he started. "He was always, uh..." He trailed off. "He..."

Daphne felt her heart break, seeing how hard this was for him. Master Lin did this to her too when she killed someone for the first time.

"He was the worst piece of shit I ever knew," Marcus continued. "He stole, and he beat up women, and he hurt people. Whatever happened to him, whoever he was, I don't give a shit, because he chose who he became. And who he became was terrible."

The daughter doesn't seem too happy about Marcus's words, as she walks up to Marcus and spits on him. "Burn in hell, you asshole."

Daphne walks towards the girl and pushes her, then grabs Marcus's hand and follows Master Lin. She flips the girl off as they walk away.

"How do you feel?" Daphne asked Marcus.

"Better than before."

The three of them sat on a nearby bench, Marcus in between Daphne and Master Lin. Daphne holds Marcus's hand to help a little bit.

"Why did you do that?" Marcus asked Master Lin.

"It's important we face our victims."

Marcus glances at Master Lin before speaking.

"I told myself all day that I didn't feel anything. But once I heard his daughter, her delusion..."

"We hate imagining anyone unveiling truths about us when we pass, so we forgive others once they do," Master Lin says. He takes a blue folder out of his bag and gives it to Marcus. "I.D. wanted for six homicides. Your fortitude likely prevented many more."

Marcus opened the folder and looked at the paperwork inside it, Daphne stealing a glance over his shoulder.

"Those who lack backbone are devoured. We can't expect others to watch the herd, it's up to us," Master Lin said.

"There might have been a better way," Marcus says quietly.

Daphne's heart breaks all over again when she sees his eyes start to water. She had just realised how guilty he felt.

"Noise, noise, noise," Master Lin whispered. "Just, something you think you're supposed to say."

"So, what, I just keep pulling the trigger as long as I believe the old man telling me to do it is fine? Then I can live with it?"

Daphne puts a hand on his shoulder and rubs it softly to calm him down.

"You were justified. Erasing that human stain doesn't mean you absorb it. You made the world better. Over time, you'll see," Master Lin explained. "I, for one, am very proud of you."

Marcus looked like he had a weight lifted off his shoulders. It made him feel better that Master Lin was proud of him.

"Now, come on. There's something waiting for you back at the school."

Master Lin stood up and approached the car, along with Marcus and Daphne.

"I'm proud of you too," Daphne whispered. "It took a lot of courage to do that. You handled it better than I did."

Marcus smiles faintly and gets in the car.

"Thank you."

"You deserve a good night of sleep," Master Lin said as he walked through the hallway with Marcus and Daphne. "We found you a permanent room assignment."

Master Lin opened one of the doors and inside the room was Shabnam, wearing blue pyjamas.

Daphne snorts at the realisation that Shabnam is going to be Marcus's roommate. Her face turns serious and she clears her throat when Marcus and Master Lin both send her a glare.

"Sorry."

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────
A/N
double update!
thank you for reading and
don't forget to vote!
🫶