6. Public Transport from the Circles of Hell

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

╔═*.·:·.⋇⋆✦⋆⋇.·:·.*═╗
Long Island
Year: 2003
╚═*.·:·.⋇⋆✦⋆⋇.·:·.*═╝

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

The bus terminal exuded an air of quiet expectancy, its atmosphere tinged with the heat of the late afternoon sun pouring through the expansive glass windows. The sunlight, harsh and unyielding, painted everything in warm hues, casting long shadows across the tiled floor, and despite the sweltering heat, the terminal seemed oddly deserted, as if caught in a moment of suspended animation.

Three demigods occupied a cluster of worn plastic seats, their bodies slouched in varying degrees of fatigue. Samarah fanned herself with the folded map she had plucked from one of the tourism stands earlier, squinting against the sunlight as she checked her watch every few minutes. Her gaze flitted over the sparse crowd before settling on the dark-haired girl who sat beside her.

Rin stifled a yawn behind her hand, her eyes drooping with exhaustion. Her faded denim jacket hung behind her seat, and she kept reminding herself to pick it up before they departed because at this rate she would forget her own head if it wasn't screwed on. She lifted a can of cold coffee to her lips, taking a slow sip as if savouring the bitter taste. Samarah watched her with a mixture of amusement and concern, her brow furrowing slightly.

"Isn't that your third can already?" Samarah's voice was laced with gentle reproach. "Maybe you should cut back a little."

Rin chuckled, a wry smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Nah, I'm good. Besides, I'm nowhere near done," she replied, gesturing towards the fully stocked vending machine with a nod of her head.

Something about the previous night's dream unsettled her, even though she could barely remember the details, and she kept going over it with a fine-toothed comb, wondering if it meant anything significant. That paired with an entire week's worth of sleepless nights made for one very exhausted demigod. 

Luke glanced up from Samarah's other side where he was fiddling with the laces on his hightops, peering over at Rin with a half smile —one that Rin returned with a withering glare. He had been trying to make peace for the last hour, and each of his attempts had been met with stony silence. 

"How can you drink that stuff in this heat?" he asked nonetheless, a little incredulously. "It's supposed to be like a hundred degrees out here."

"Seventy-seven, actually," Samarah corrected in a matter-of-fact tone, glancing at her watch. "But he's right Rin, what's up with the caffeine overdosing, ease up."