roomates

The night came slowly. Yet, I still can't find myself having fun with the others. I watched them play board games and Uno, and I watched who won most of them. Most being the champion as I heard— Saijha. He's from California, born and raised as I heard.

I sat on my phone, ruffling my hand between my head hair. It's not that I didn't like my roommates, I just wasn't expecting them to get along before I could get to know their names. I've gotten along nicely with everybody so far on my journey. But for some reason, they don't bother to look at me during their games. Micah doesn't seem to like them either though, he might be on my side. He sits in the corner on a wooden chair, not looking up once from his phone. I do though.

I wanna see what he's doing so I can get to know him instead of the others playing Uno. It's even cooler that he's Theodore's son, being in band and everything while he's supposed to be taking over his father's business like Brooke had mentioned in his office. I get up, put my phone on the nightstand next to the bunkbed, and walk over to him. I stop in front of him as I wait for a second for him to notice my presence.

"Uhm.. hey." I stand awkwardly with a gulp included. The silence of the room from here is getting louder, though we can still hear Saijha and the others getting increasingly louder. At least they don't notice us in the distance. Micah looks up slowly with his eyes only, he seems to have no interest in me. "Hi." his thick British accent folding in to his voice. He's not looking for a conversation or small talk even— just immediately continues to his phone scrolling. "Uh,— I-I'm Milos, we're roommates, I guess." I reply.

"I'm not staying, I have my own room." he stands up from his chair. I stand back so he can have some personal space. "I see." I say. After a few minutes of silence and trying to avoid eye contact with each other, I speak up some real small talk. "Are you scared of going to Spore?" I ask. He looks over at me. "Why would I be scared? I've known about this place since they discovered the XO system." Micah raises an eyebrow. He probably knows a lot more about it than I ever will. I'm just here to explore it, not get knowledge. Apparently.

"Oh, so you do. I assume you're probably smarter than me." I chuckle. He doesn't even bother to smile. "I do, actually. My dad's taught me everything I need to know about this planet. My older brother went there before. He knows that planet like none of us do." he explains. It just seems like Theodore is sending his children off to a murderous death planet for no reason. I mean— yeah, for science and discovery, but his own children for the challenge?

I could never send Aurora off to a planet I've never heard of before. But surely Theodore knows what he's doing. He loves his sons and I know he wouldn't bring his son onto a random planet that he doesn't know about for the sake of science and discovery. I'm sure he trusts in him very much. And then again, I shouldn't bother bringing Aurora into the conversation like this. Aurora is barely old enough to speak well except a few sounds of mutter and yelps.

Micah nods thoughtfully, his expression serious as he considers the risky adventure ahead. "Well.. how's he holding up now?" I ask, feeling concerned for Micah's older brother. As I think he'll respond with 'good', or well, instead, he sighs before looking to the floor. "My brother— hasn't.. returned yet." he says, his voice filled with worry and uncertainty. I widen my eyes after Micah tells me this. I mean— I don't even know how to respond to such an answer like that! I leave my mouth closed, thinking harder of this.

How come nobody went out there to go fetch him? Is nobody worried?

"My dad's told me it's too much work to send anybody out there, and too dangerous." Micah explains, wishing harder for the topic to stop already. There have been countless attempts before, but the planet has proven too treacherous apparently for Micah's older brother. "I'm.. sorry. I didn't know you had any other siblings." I apologize, his gaze looking up to me with a slow smile. "Ahh, don't worry about it. It's not your fault." he chuckles , trying to lighten the heavy mood. "Besides, Brooke is like the sister I never had, she's wonderful." he adds with a reassuring tone. I smile with him , feeling more at ease with his attempt to lighten the mood.